Cycling etiquette - sitting on wheels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
I sat down at a table someone was already sat at in the pub. I didn’t ask them nor did I engage in conversation with them. They glared at me, no idea why, I wasn’t affecting the enjoyment of their pint. They were alone, may be they enjoyed some silent company?

Maybe it is because I was with a club but sitting on someone's wheel or someone using mine has never felt wrong.
I doubt I'd do it on a lone woman's wheel cos that feels a bit odd - but other than that - why not.

Even when riding in a bunch I've not had anyone crash into me - maybe rub wheels once or twice - but that affects them more than it does me.
I ride with my mates every weekend on wheels and incidents are extremely rare.

RoadRider400

Some bloke that likes cycling alone
What's the big deal?

Imho they probably don't have the energy or speed to pass you cleanly so rather than making a big fuss of trying and failing to pass they just slow to your pace and ride patiently until you go your separate ways. Better that than they pass you then slow down as you would surely find that annoying too?

In that case they should leave a gap until they find the energy rather than tuck right in behind. Common courtesy not to stick on the back of a strangers wheel.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Maybe it is because I was with a club but sitting on someone's wheel or someone using mine has never felt wrong.
I doubt I'd do it on a lone woman's wheel cos that feels a bit odd - but other than that - why not.

Even when riding in a bunch I've not had anyone crash into me - maybe rub wheels once or twice - but that affects them more than it does me.
I ride with my mates every weekend on wheels and incidents are extremely rare.

There is a big difference to sharing/taking a wheel with people you know (and hopefully trust) and a complete stranger, especially without asking.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I'm very clear on this. If someone catches me and sits behind that's fine providing they say something like "hi, do you mind if I sit on for a bit?" Even better if, after that, they come through and take a turn. If they just catch me and sit on in silence, that's poor form

Equally, if someone passes me I'll ask if they mind me sitting on, wouldn't just limpet onto them in silence

I think the most times I have had someone tag on is when I am on a training interval. Or when I used to commute on the bus way. It doesn't bother me too much on an interval when I am focusing on ahead. If they have managed to hang on you just have to clearly indicate you are slowing down for a recovery interval. Whilst on the commute it's a wee bit more annoying I can quickly gauge the competence of someone doing so and then it's not really annoying anymore. It always appreciated though when you get a nice thanks, conversation or someone to share the work with.

8mph

Veteran
I've surreptitiously draughted one rider in the Cotswalds, he'd managed a very clipped "morning" while passing on his shiny road bike and squeaky chain. I crested him on my loaded tourer and powered away downhill, juvenile perhaps but also quite funny.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Seems like half of the people responding are talking about something very different here? I thought the situation in discussion was not about when people catch and speak or share the work or sit 10m behind or anything like that but specifically about when people ninja their way on and literally sit a couple of inches off the wheel and don’t speak or communicate at all, wasn’t it? Two very different things, I think.

edit: and not talking about other commuters who happen to be riding quite closely either, I think that just goes with the territory, so to speak.

Top Bottom