Cycling gear

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I don't find jeans a problem so long as they aren't too tight, certainly OK for 20 miles or so. Longer mileages I'm more inclined to wear regular trousers or reular shorts - but never cycling shorts! :eek:

Wear what you like and like what you wear, and dont give a sh!te what anyone else thinks

Fintious

I wear Lycra shorts because of the padding but often wear tracky bottoms over them unless it’s really warm. I think the Lycra racing snakes tend to be younger folk who can carry it off well. As I’m 51 I am more comfortable wearing what I like. Each to their own and I don’t think any cyclist thinks any less of another because of what kit they ride in...

Xipe Totec

Frrrg rrrrf yrrrr crrrnds
Wear what you want - but I wouldn't play football in flip-flops.

I wear 'proper' cycling clothing, I probably (definitely!) look an utter state - but it's comfortable, it's practical and it's designed for the purpose.

I'd probably look better if I lost 3 stone & 25 years, but I'm out for a ride, not a pose, and don't give much of a rat's buttock for the opinions of the sort of people who hold opinions about other people's appearance.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Jeans, T-shirts and trainers are for noobs.

Proper cyclists like @numbnuts enjoy the fresh air.

Attachments

• 183952.jpg
    183952.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 6

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Joking aside wear whatever you're comfortable in. I recall a group ride where one of the guys rode in jeans, ordinary black shoes and flat pedals. He rode 70 miles with the group and another 40 home later. He was perfectly comfortable.

If you want to be thought of as a lockdown cyclist or a CTC wannabe then wear jeans and trainers. If you want to be thought of as a serious cyclist then wear proper cycling clothing. It is designed for a purpose and works for that purpose.

All sports, jobs, occupations have clothing that is best suited to that activity. Do your own thing by all means - there are no rules. Just don't expect much sympathy if your jeans start rubbing the crown jewels to shreds.

Mike_P

Guru
...or you are soaking in sweat.
It's for that reason I have an ebike to do 80+ft/mile on shopping and commuting trips Obviously less of an issue in flatter terrain but the big advantages of proper cycling clothing for pure pedal power that have not been mentioned are their lightness, lack of wind drag and wicking of sweat away.

But you have to buy it. Cyclists are generally tight arsedz and if jeans and trainers are good enough for work rest and play then why pay for extra gear?

Wear whatever you want to wear - as long as you're happy and what you've got on doesn't chafe where it shouldn't.

Although clothes made from wicking fabrics (not necessarily cycling clothes) are certainly much more comfortable. There is nothing worse than having to sit in a sweaty jeans and t-shirt while it all gets cold and clammy on your skin.

Will say do get some cycling mitts though - if you come a cropper, they'll save the skin on your palms from being shredded.

N.B. I'll dress according to what sort of ride I'm doing. Lycra for leisure, hiking trousers and jacket for utility / commuting and a mix of both for cycling "away days"

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
In summer, when it is hot, I often wear golf shirts or western shirts. Light, cool, convenient. Today I rode in a flannel shirt and khakis, since then, it has warmed up to 24C.

Dan77

Shorts and t-shirt are fine if your saddle is comfortable enough for the distance you're doing. Jeans not a great idea unless it's a short ride though. Too hot and too uncomfortable.

I'm a fair weather commuter and did so on my hybrid in my work trousers last year. It was fine but I wouldn't really want to go further than about 20km without padded shorts.

People want different things out of their rides. If you're just tootling along without raising your heart rate much then no need for cycle specific clothing. If you're looking to improve fitness though you'll build up a sweat and will want to be as comfortable as possible under the circumstances. If you want to go fast, aerodynamic kit makes a big difference. Some people are training for races. Some want to lose weight. Some just want to keep up with their mates. Some want to ride as far as possible and so need comfort and speed. Some need goals to motivate them and enjoy seeing the progress they are making.

Basically, do what suits you. It's great that people are getting out on their bikes regardless of what they are wearing. It would have to be something particularly ridiculous for me to judge somebody based on what bike they have or what clothes they are wearing.

Top Bottom