Cycling gear

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Leemi1982

Hi I currently like riding just mainly for a bit of exercise I go out 3 to 4 times a week just slow steady rides hitting a few small hills, I have no interest in race times and targets..

I ride a specialized allez and im the the guy who will be riding in jeans or, shorts and t shirt
this always feels a bit of a stigma to me as I feel like the guy who looks like he hasn’t got a clue.. as the guys in Lycra may see me...

what do people think??? It seems 90% of people I see on road bikes in Lycra do I look the fool.

vickster

Legendary Member
Wear whatever you’re comfortable in, don’t give a stuff about anyone else. You’re not in a race

Badger_Boom

Über Member
Wear whatever you’re comfortable in, don’t give a stuff about anyone else. You’re not in a race
This /\ all day long.

I’ve recently invested in some Lycra for my mid life crisis road bike, but purely for comfort reasons. Wear what you like, enjoy your cycling, and ignore anyone else. And anyway, all the gear does not guarantee the wearer has any idea.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I ride a specialized allez and im the the guy who will be riding in jeans or, shorts and t shirt
this always feels a bit of a stigma to me as I feel like the guy who looks like he hasn’t got a clue.. as the guys in Lycra may see me...
what do people think??? It seems 90% of people I see on road bikes in Lycra do I look the fool.

I've been riding around in casual clothing for over 45 years, on all sorts of type of bike. I never wear all the lycra gear or have specal cycling shoes and clipless pedals. As far as I'm concerned it's all just a load of nonsense.
In my book it's the riders with the expensive shiny bikes who dress head to toe in all the branded gear just to go down the road, are the ones who haven't got a clue. The riders who have got a clue just jump on their bikes and go for a ride - no special cycling uniform needed. Just dress appropriately for the weather conditions.
I have no desire to be a stereotypical roadie clone all dressed the same.

Sharky

Guru
When I started, jumpers, jeans, anoraks etc were the normal attire and I rode miles & miles in them. But over the years, cycling specific clothing has been developed which is better fitting, has pockets where you need them, longer at the back, so you don't get cold spots on the back, longer sleeves so wind doesn't blow up the arms. And padded seats which are more comfortable.

You don't need to look like a pro in skinny lycra, but some cycling clothing can make the ride more enjoyable. A ride to the shops/pub, doesn't really matter, but longer leisure rides could benefit.

Have a look at https://www.tudorsports.co.uk/ for a more relaxed fit.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I agree with Sharky, some cycle specific clothing can greatly improve comfort, so don't necessarily rule it out. I can't ride very far if I'm not in cycle shorts for example, (I find the centre seam of jeans discomforts my "seat" area (perenium) after only a few miles). But cycling tops I can take or leave, I only own one these days in fact and that sits in a drawer, I mostly wear normal T shirts or wicking gym / training type tops. You might like the pockets that a cycle Jersey provides, I ride with a bar bag these days so I don't need rear pockets. And I'm a bit fat, so skinny tops look outrageous on me.

Wear what you want though, whatever works for you, nobody really notices and you can certainly rest assured that the skin tight lycra guys won't be judging you.

Last edited:

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Whatever sport you do, they all have specific gear to suit that particular sport. Cycling is a sport even if you do it for leisure. Using cycling specific gear will make your ride more comfortable and enjoyable too. If you only ride to the shop and back, then jeans and trainers are ok but for longer, cycling only rides, I wouldn't dream of doing it with every day clothes, it just wouldn't feel right.

Whatever sport you do, they all have specific gear to suit that particular sport. Cycling is a sport even if you do it for leisure. Using cycling specific gear will make your ride more comfortable and enjoyable too. If you only ride to the shop and back, then jeans and trainers are ok but for longer, cycling only rides, I wouldn't dream of doing it with every day clothes, it just wouldn't feel right.
+1

roley poley

Über Member
I ride in my "everyday" clothes but can't wear jeans The only point of contact for your clothes on the bike is the saddle and I find the stack of material they have on the crossing of 4 panels of cloth. right on your...erm.. contact point ,hell

Top Bottom