Cycling gear

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
@Leemi1982 Do whatever you wish. Myself I always wear cycle specific clothing. Even in winter I'll return home very sweaty and generally unpleasant. Cycle specific kit minimises the effect.

Yesterday we rode 52 miles, 17.6avg. I wouldn't want to do that in jeans and trainers. It's horses for courses. I'm 66 and couldn't give a fig how others think I look so long as I'm having my own particular brand of fun.

I don't usually ride very far at a time, so I just wear normal street clothes.
For my occasional longer ride, I use padded undershorts (from Aldi a few years ago) with either ordinary cargo shorts or some Ron Hill Trackster Trek tracky bottoms if its cold.
Stylish I am not.........

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Comfort definitely trumps style for me the older I get. In fact, riding the mountain bike yesterday which still has flat pedals, I enjoyed the freedom of wearing comfy trainers and being able to move my feet around that I am seriously thinking about ditching clipless on the road bikes and reverting back to flat pedals, even although I have had no problem with clipless.

Chap sur le velo

Über Member
Just wear what you like and don't worry about what others think. You have to accept that your choices are for you. Let no one pretend that they are just wearing what was lying around or that they look a little like Chris Froome - by accident. We all make choices, some of them objective and others for reasons we don't fully understand. Be happy with who you are. It's you who you live with.

That said if you've never tried modern cycling gear then you aren't making fully informed choices. E.G. My first winter Cycling and I'm amazed how little cycling gear I needed to stay perfectly comfortable when the relative temperature dropped to Zero. Caught out in the rain and come home dry. By contrast I see others with puffer jackets flapping because they are too hot once they get going, and if they're like mine they soak up rain. Jeans in the rain - no thanks.

What ever you choose. It's a great big world and cycling exists to make people happy.

Gunk

Guru
Why not wear padded Lycra shorts under jeans ?

I’ve done that many times, most rides under 15 miles I just ride in regular clothes. I’m not shaving seconds off my times and don’t want to look like a prune when I’m off the bike.

All uphill

Still rolling along
I wear a mix of odds and ends that are comfortable and work well for me. One thing that hasn't been mentioned is how quick and easy clothes are to wash and dry. It's nice to put on fresh, dry clothes even if they were used the previous day.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Will say do get some cycling mitts though - if you come a cropper, they'll save the skin on your palms from being shredded.

Hand protection is very worthwile, regardless of what sort of attire you ride in. I don't even go down the shops on a bike without gloves of some sort on, as I don't fancy being unable to work properly for a week ot two because I've messed my hands up in a crash. Did it a few times as a kid when crashing, but have got a bit more sensible now.
Gloves don't need to be fancy or even cycling ones. Most of the time in warm conditions, I wear some fingerless cycling jobs from Lidl that were £4 a pair. If it's a bit nippy I wear full fingered thin woven fabric PVC coated palm gloves - the type designed to allow fiddly tasks to be done wearing them. When it's really cold I wear those plus the fingerless cycling gloves.

Mtbsensa

Regular
This is a fantastic question and a predicament i've found myself in. I ride pretty often, but have barely any cycling clothes or gear. While i can seem kind of amateurish and even embarrassing, i think theres a kind of strength to it. If you feel you need to wear a pink skin tight spandex suit and oakleys to fit in then it just shows how unnurtured your ego is. Be yourself and be okay with not looking like everyone else!

heres a photo of @Drago ( especially for @welsh dragon )out cycling, im sorry but he was too quick and i only got chance to take a photo from behind
1617628100003.png

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Always cycling specific. Doesn't take long to slip on a pair of tights or shorts. Most of my usual tops are pretty much similar to cycling jerseys anyway so a top with pockets or a soft shell over if needed. I'm 73, 65 kg, and I reckon I look better in Lycra anyway .....

Top Bottom