Cycling Glasses - Strange Query

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

junkie_ball

HI,

I have a strange question about cycling glasses. I brought a pair of prescription cycling glasses from rapid eyewear (http://www.rapideyewear.co.uk/produ...g_sunglasses/bd83d20126a31fe7e72e8e26d38a8008) as previously i was wearing my normal glasses with another pair on top which to say at the least was inconvenient and uncomfortable. I have worn the new prescription cycling glasses around the house to get used too and they were great and didn't notice any difference from my normal glasses, although when i went for a ride today these glasses make me feel like i'm cycling on a bike that is 15 foot tall.

Do cycling glasses tend to magnify things as whilst this feels slightly weird everything seems clearer as i feel like i'm sitting higher up. I just can't decide if i like this or not.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I had that feeling when I wore my Optilabs glasses for the first time. It was very weird at first but your eyes soon get used to it. It's to do with the curvature of the lenses, mine being wraparounds.

OP
OP
junkie_ball

junkie_ball

I already use wrap arounds in the car but perhaps these are slightly more rounded than those. Glad it's not just me though thought i was going mad or something. lol

Venod

Eh up
I have several pair of cycling glasses (non prescription) all cheap (Aldi mostly) they all make me feel as if I am on a tall bike, some are worse than others, I get used to it them after a while but its a bit strange when you first put them on.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
There could be an issue with the glasses.

I got a pair from an opticians at a Tesco, and I felt like I was riding just off the floor. Back to my other pair and they were fine. Found out it wasn't the prescription insert that was at issue, but the cycling glasses themselves. Since switching to other glasses, but using the same insert, I haven't had an issue.

I would get back onto the company.

D

Deleted member 26715

Clearly being a bit dim here, but what's the difference between them & normal glasses, I just where my everyday varifocals?

Alan...

OP
OP
junkie_ball

junkie_ball

I got a pair from an opticians at a Tesco, and I felt like I was riding just off the floor. Back to my other pair and they were fine. Found out it wasn't the prescription insert that was at issue, but the cycling glasses themselves. Since switching to other glasses, but using the same insert, I haven't had an issue.

Maybe it will be worth just dropping the company a quick email as they are new to see what that say about it.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Clearly being a bit dim here, but what's the difference between them & normal glasses, I just where my everyday varifocals?

Alan...

I am short sighted, but prefer cycling glasses with optical inserts. The glasses give better wind protection to my eyes, and a can change lenses if I need to. My normal glasses don't offer much eye protection (narrow) and aren't quite as secure on my head.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah

Nope, it's they way they are made. Because of cycling glasses design the lens has more of a curve, causing the weird fishbowl sensation.

Last edited:
I have got a set of cycle glasses with a prescription insert, and when I first put them on they do make everything look a bit weird and out of normal perspective. After a few minutes, my eyes adjust to them, but in those first few minutes, I have to be careful, especially when aiming for small gaps and such like...

The insert was made to my most recent prescription (I had only very recently had my eyes tested and had new everyday glasses), so I can't blame the opticians!

sazzaa

They are wrap-rounds I expect - they stop the cold wind making your eyes stream and provide better protection from insects etc. I've not had much success with separate prescription inserts, and a fellow cyclist has been trying to persuade me to try disposable contact lenses. I've never been keen on the idea.
You should give contacts a go, they have hydrogel ones which let loads of oxygen into your eye and are super comfortable, they're not that expensive either. You can also get slightly coloured ones which look lovely (unless you have dark brown eyes).

Globalti

Legendary Member
You can and you MUST blame the optician; they are supposed to recommend a lens that suits your prescription and to advise you against anything too curved. The flatter the lenses the more choice they have in blanks from which to make your lenses while the more curved the less choice and the less likely that the vision will be undistorted. Once they've helped you choose the lens they must take a fair amount of time and care over checking the centres of your eyes and measuring everything, especially if you're having varifocals. If you're getting distortion, take the glasses back.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
When my inserts were glazed (with varifocal lenses) the optician asked me about my riding position - did I ride a hybrid - upright, or road bike - with a lower position, so as to determine the positioning of the lense in the frame. As a result the lenses work best when I am actually on the bike. Unfortunately this attention to detail was obviously unprofitable, and subsequently the optician 'ceased trading' without notice, and without trace :sad:.

robbiejp77

junk ball- I've had sunnies with the rx insert but didn't like them they felt a bit odd, in th end I just used contact lenses and regular sports sunglasses which was much better for me and my eyes stay hydrated whilst wearing contacts, might be worth a go if you still have issues.

Top Bottom