Cycling Glasses - Strange Query

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

snorri

Legendary Member
I thought it might be a good idea to get a pair of cycling glasses for eye protection with no optical correction required, and bought a pair of Madisons. The feeling of my head being a metre higher than normal was quite uncomfortable, so I dumped them.

Last edited:
OP
OP
junkie_ball

junkie_ball

Ok sorry for not replying sooner. Have now been out on the bike a number of times and it's definitely the curve of the tinted lenses that cause the effect. If i use the clear one the effect doesn't seem so bad. My eyes must have adjusted now though as i'm not noticing the problem much anymore.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I've just bought these rather nice sports glasses from Shoptic:

20140412_153049_zps103cdffe.jpg

They are varifocal, anti-glare coated and photochromic. The vision is really superb and you'll notice that the designer has cleverly combined a curved frame with a flatter lens by using "sub frames" for the lenses, which gives the optician a much bigger choice of lens blanks and keeps the price down as well as giving less optical distortion. I don't think they would darken enough to be used as ski glasses but on the bike they're superb. A standard non-prescription lens also fits into the area occupied by the sub frame, if you want them for eye protection only.

These cost about £220, which i don't begrudge at all. For anybody in the NW they came from the very excellent Ideal Eye Care just outside Blackburn.

Edit: They are not Shoptic but I can't remember the brand!

Last edited:
Got a pair of i826 specs from Specsavers for just over £100 last week, they are not the best and they do use inserts but they are light and after having "trialed" over four runs with both plan and smoke lenses I can recommend them.

Top Bottom