Cycling glasses, what's the point?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

subaqua

What’s the point
I also note that when you see photos of British and US soldiers on patrol in the desert that they are often using amber lenses. But if you'd prefer to trust the word of sales reps...
when the amber ones cost more and they are discouraging us from buying ? yeah that looks like a good salespitch. .maybe , just maybe as the british and american army don't supply decent comfortable kit the soldiers have bought the amber ones in the belief they are better,.

Have a good read of EN166 regarding shading colours, UV protection etc.

Maybe amber in prescription lenses is OK . I am not really sure as it is way outside of the knowledge I need.

one other thing too.check the maximum duration rating on the glasses too. some have ridiculously low time limits for wearing on them. lowest one I saw was 1hr then needed to not wear specs for at least another hour.

EN 166 F for normal use against high speed particles with a low energy impact the S rated ones are a bit pants

cd365

Guru
I use De Walt safety / impact glasses, at under £4 you cant go wrong
http://www.coleparmer.co.uk/Product...a2hzVOX2_DZUqcX5zYtoPZys0pcmFxzPkzBoCkObw_wcB

372478.jpg
I posted these glasses in the Bargains thread, I bought a pair for non-cycling use and after I wore them realised that they would make great cycling glasses. £2.99 at the minute, bargain.

subaqua

What’s the point
Nothi
Amber glasses from Decathlon, £4.99, meet both EN166 for impact protection and EN1836 for UV protection. What's the problem ?
http://www.decathlon.co.uk/arenberg-cycling-sunglasses-category-1-yellow-id_8118519.html
nothing as they have the correct ratings. How many amber glasses get sold without any rating.

Had a google about the amber issue and nearly all manufacturers recommend them for low light levels over bright conditions. There are some caveats given and then they explain about the UV protection levels and colour filtering and uvex have a massive chart with all sorts of colours and uses.

Amber showed up as low light level but not night time ( so Bono can feck right off) . Am going to arrange another glasses demo and get a tech guy down and get some direct answers .

GrasB

Veteran
I've found safety specs to be down right annoying on bikes. Most will mist up instantly at low speeds, scratch massively when you try to wipe dirty water off them & will pit inside a ride if sweat gets onto them. I'd be lucky to get 4 weeks out of a pair.

Switching to medium price (£30~£50) sports glasses with swappable lens meant a pair of lenses will last 18 months & are £5 (clear) to £25 (mirror finish w/tint) or £45 (mirror finish polaroid, for which I have my original pair as they're only any use in 'perfect' summer or cloudless winter weather) a pair depending on the finish.

As to the original question what's the point if it's not sunny? Not having your eyes dry out in very cold conditions, stopping persistent eye watering, prevent getting fine debris in your eyes (eg. road salt/grit), large object protection, allow you to look down the road when heading into snow/sleet/hail.

Last edited:

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
I have very limited vision in my left eye (pseudomonas infection) so I'm very fussy about eye protection.

Apart from stones that cars throw up and bugs (a bee being a fairly weighty thing to hit the eye) there are also close encounters with overhanging foliage on cycle paths etc - some of these are 'thorny' and christ knows how much damage they could cause to an unprotected eye.

If I had a choice of helmet or glasses I'd go glasses every time.

andyfraser

Über Member
That reminds me, back in the days when I rode motorbikes (late 80s - early 90s) I hit a bumble bee at 70mph on the A34. Not only did I really feel it but I couldn't see out of the visor due to liquidised bee. Luckily I was in the left hand lane and was able to slow down, lift my visor so I could see and pull over to clean my helmet.

Top Bottom