Cycling glasses, what's the point?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LimeBurn

Über Member
Ive had aldi and decathlon glasses but asked for some Oakley Radarlock paths for christmas last year, I love them and yes I could easily wear something cheaper but theyll give me a few years service and i wear them off the bike too, flys and chippings in the face are painful enough but you only have one pair of eyes so ill cover them as best I can.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
[QUOTE 3310984, member: 9609"]I don't know what these ones are, but it takes the best part of an hour to get rid of the pain, most bug things wipe out quite easily but these little black things are horrible, it does feel like some sort of acid. I do have glasses but rarely wear them
bugineye_zpsfc1baca0.jpg
[/QUOTE]
Those are the ones! Much smaller than a house fly but bigger than aphids or midges. And very black. Truly horrid little buggers.

cd365

Guru
Not read all up thread but......

Yeah, people on race bikes going to work in lycra always have shades on for some bizarre reason, and a helmet ha

Its a fashion thing, they dont do anything, they have a place in cycling, cycling through the city for work on a dull day aint one unless its really cold. Or maybe Im not going fast enough?

Lycra and a wool hat is my look, no helmet and no shades unless its a long day in the saddle on a sunny day then I'll get the glasses out, though I find eye wear so annoying, bit like a helmet
If you had bothered to read up you would have found out that glasses are worn to protect the eyes. I don't wear them as a fashion accessory but as a required safety item.

I found your post a bit weird.

Back in pre Oakley, pre Greg Lemond days we never wore eye wear apart from non cycling specific sunglasses on occasion. I don't know how we managed ! Nowadays for all but the winter months I never ride without them, on those odd days when for whatever reason I don't I can practically guarantee an insect/seed/dust strike within minutes of starting the ride. I use cheapo Decathlon glasses with amber lenses, enough to stop glare but bright enough for dawn/dusk/tree cover.

DWiggy

Über Member
IMO they are a must, they keep dist, grit and bugs out along with UV protection and I feel naked with out them now!

Keith Oates

Janner
I wear normal glasses when I'm riding the bike but even with them I have a problem with sweat dripping onto the lenses. I have to push them to the end of my nose and look over the top but with cycling specific glasses I couldn't do that so I never try riding with them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Without glasses, my eyes stream, especially in the mornings when it's a bit chilly. They have protected me from stones, flies, dust etc. It's up to you if you want to protect against glare and UV .Even clear cycling glasses have UV protection. Endura do an anti fog range, which really work.

Yep, me too, on cold mornings my eyes stream with tears, I buy cheapo wrap-around shades from Primark or Aldi, without them it looks like I've watched a particularly sad episode of Little house On The Prairie, the one where the daughter goes blind or something.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
I bought some Power Race from Planet X with prescription inserts, photochromatic and hydrophobic lenses. Was amazed at how effective the hydrophobic lenses are., don't recall ever having to wipe them while riding in rain.

Yep always wear the orange ones they keep the crud out,stop your contacts drying out and are very good at stopping things like fags tossed out of car windows from burning your eyes out.

MarkF

Guru
Same as others, eyes streaming, dust/grit, bugs etc I always wear them, my Aldi ones are for best, usually I wear assorted 1-2 Euro sunglasses that I pick up in Spain. :smile:

OP
OP
thecube

thecube

Well, I bought some from Halfords in a hurry and didn't like them. But, i'd borrowed some safety specs from work and they were pretty good. I did enjoy my first sportive apart from the extra 3 miles! one sign was missing, about 20 cyclist followed each other like sheep and took a massive short cut, I actually spent 30 seconds to look at the map and went back, only one guy came with me.

Top Bottom