Cycling glasses, what's the point?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
thecube

thecube

Well some good suggestions here, i will probably opt for a cheap pair to try first. but for my sportive on Sunday I'll wear my old eye glasses, it didn't do laurent Fignon any harm! Anyway, I have other things to worry about regarding that event, like only covering half the distance in training!

PaulSecteur

No longer a Specialized fanboy
I will not ride a bike without glasses, they are a must have for me.
When I took road riding up again a few years ago I used a pair of clear safety glasses for a few weeks, after a stone was spat up by a car and hit my glasses I knew that I would never ride without some sort of eye protection.

I had a similar experience. I hadn't used to wear them, then after ribbing a mate for being too "Safety first" (High vis, reflectives, lights during the day...) he got me to try some. That ride I had a stone thrown up and hit the glasses. Always have them on now. I have lost count of the amount of mates that have tried and not returned these...

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/arenberg-cycling-sunglasses-category-0-clear-id_8118518.html

At a fiver a pop its worth it if they wear them!

If you have been doing some riding with effort, then stop for the lights or whatever, pull them a little way down your nose to prevent fogging. Push them up again when you set off.

Joshua Plumtree

Approaching perfection from a distance.
The only time I wear glasses is when I'm time trialling. That little extra bit of speed seems to make my eyes hurt/water without them.

At all other times I don't bother, because I seem to spend half the ride pushing the damn things back up my nose! :ohmy:

ChrisEyles

Guru
I use a pair of lab safety glasses... pretty much the same as a cheapo pair of cycling ones.

I'm afraid I am one of the "Safety First" brigade, but of all the safety gear cycling glasses are my least favourite. I don't much like wearing any type of sunglasses etc and much prefer the feeling on a fast downhill when I "forget" to take them with me. Then again I've had some near misses (mainly monster bugs splatting me in the face at 25+mph) and wished I'd remembered them!

If you ride fast, and cover a lot of miles, I guess you are pushing your luck a little if you don't wear any sort of eye protection. Must get better at remembering mine...

subaqua

What’s the point
one thing to be mindful of is the duration ratings of some of the cheaper glasses. they can have maximum durations of an hour or so before the eyes need a break from them . even some expensive ones can have a low limit.

I wasn't aware until i read the instructions on safety glasses in work properly.

I wear normal prescription glasses and don't have a big problem but if you do get crap in your eye it is painful.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I rode into a cycle path underpass beneath a runway at Schipol Airport five years ago, straight into a swarm of little black flies. The resulting acid mush in my eye sockets stung like crazy for the next hour. I subsequently bought a few pairs of Bolle Contour safety glasses for less than a tenner a pop.

http://www.nothingbutsafetyglasses.com/products/glasses/bolle-contour-esp

Unfortunately, unlike Oakleys, they didn't make me irresistible to women and add 5 mph to my average speed.

boydj

Legendary Member
Well I got some from Specsavers which are a bit wraparound but still very watery eyes as the lenses aren't that big unfortunately

Can't get proper cycling glasses on the high street unless go for Oakleys at ridiculous sums (and I really don't like the styling anyhow!). Have to do online which is a pain as can't try them on etc

I am quite close to Optilabs but the decent styles are insert only, suppose I could go and have a butchers at some point

Look on the Oakleys as an investment. I've had mine for about 7 or 8 years now, so they have more than justified the cost, which included transitions lenses so they could be used at night. The lenses are ready for replacing now as the little nibs that hold them in place are crumbling with age and the prescription could do with being updated.

I would not ride without glasses for eye protection.

moo

I retrofitted a pair of Aldi glasses with some spare prescription lenses. No way I'm paying hundreds for them.

Katherine

Guru
Without glasses, my eyes stream, especially in the mornings when it's a bit chilly. They have protected me from stones, flies, dust etc. It's up to you if you want to protect against glare and UV .Even clear cycling glasses have UV protection. Endura do an anti fog range, which really work.

YahudaMoon

Über Member
Not read all up thread but......

Yeah, people on race bikes going to work in lycra always have shades on for some bizarre reason, and a helmet ha

Its a fashion thing, they dont do anything, they have a place in cycling, cycling through the city for work on a dull day aint one unless its really cold. Or maybe Im not going fast enough?

Lycra and a wool hat is my look, no helmet and no shades unless its a long day in the saddle on a sunny day then I'll get the glasses out, though I find eye wear so annoying, bit like a helmet

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
Look on the Oakleys as an investment. I've had mine for about 7 or 8 years now, so they have more than justified the cost, which included transitions lenses so they could be used at night. The lenses are ready for replacing now as the little nibs that hold them in place are crumbling with age and the prescription could do with being updated.

I would not ride without glasses for eye protection.
That's fine if your prescription doesn't change and you don't lose or break them...and I have never seen a pair I like so it's easy not to buy them! I wear glasses on the bike, just my normal ones or some old sunglasses with prescription

Top Bottom