Cycling glasses, what's the point?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

thecube

Now obviously there is a purpose to wearing glasses whilst cycling, especially in certain conditions like bright sun. But, given how much they can cost, are they more of a fashion accessory? I am a glasses wearing (standard glasses), so not sure what advantage i'd get by putting on contact lenses to then wear cycle specific glasses. The reason I ask since pretty much every other cyclist I see seems to wear some funky specs. I mean on a cloudy day how do clear lenses improve visability? Is to stop getting insects in the eyes? Does it prevent the crying effect when going fast? I genuinely don't know. Maybe there is no comprehensive answer.

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
More so on a road bike, with speeds of say 20+ mph, the wind, bugs and muck get in your eyes. I wear specs, but can't wear contacts, so I have some prescription cycling glasses. Normal glasses let the wind and crap in, whereas cycling glasses wrap the airflow around away from the eyes. With contacts alone, you can expect watery eyes and muck getting in. A rider on the Ride 100 had to abandon at 47 miles as the rain washed one of his contacts out. This is an extreme example, but relevant all the same. He was annoyed he forgot to take his cycling glasses.

For me, they are essential

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Now obviously there is a purpose to wearing glasses whilst cycling, especially in certain conditions like bright sun. But, given how much they can cost, are they more of a fashion accessory? I am a glasses wearing (standard glasses), so not sure what advantage i'd get by putting on contact lenses to then wear cycle specific glasses. The reason I ask since pretty much every other cyclist I see seems to wear some funky specs. I mean on a cloudy day how do clear lenses improve visability? Is to stop getting insects in the eyes? Does it prevent the crying effect when going fast? I genuinely don't know. Maybe there is no comprehensive answer.

I use them to reduce the chance of dust, grit, rain or any crap thrown up by other vehicles getting into my eyes. At £3.99 from Lidl they're not meant to be a fashion statement!

GC

Travelling at 30 mph downhill in and among the local traffic and get hit in the eye with a chip/bug/stick (or whatever it was) and you will suddenly see the point in cycling specific glasses!

I learnt this on my very first ride, thankfully I could see just about enough to perform an emergency stop, it could have ended much worse!:eek:

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
if you ever hit a fly or other large insect at 30+ you will know why some form of glasses are recommended.
As you can pay anything from £3 to £300 for a pair of glasses, people will make their own judgments on cost/style.

Personally as a "normal" glasses wearer I prefer my wrap around bike glasses as they are more secure and keep the wind from drying out my eyes.

OP
OP
thecube

thecube

Well I do wear glasses all of the time (well apart from running races), but not cycle specific ones. So I guess that eliminates the problems mentioned. I know you can pay a lot more than £3.99 for them! So in a word there is no point me getting any, I should just stick to me standard eye glasses?

OP
OP
thecube

thecube

Personally as a "normal" glasses wearer I prefer my wrap around bike glasses as they are more secure and keep the wind from drying out my eyes.

Ah, that answers my question a bit. Whilst I do feel my glasses are secure my eyes still ened up streaming when I am going fast, so a closer fitting wrap around style might prevent this then? I don't mean to sound ignorant asking this question, just curious, not sure whether or not I a missing out and need to splash out a few quid. Although I work in a lab, maybe a pair of wrap around lab specs will do.

AndyRM

XOXO
Buy these and you'll be a happy camper.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-pro-triple-lens-sunglasses/

Comfortable, good lenses for a variety of conditions, adjustable, grippy and good value.

AndyRM

XOXO
I had seen these ones, looks like a good price for a variety of lens types. Maybe too late for my first sportive this weekend mind.

Yeah, you'd be pushing it I reckon!

My one criticism would be that the rubber nose piece is rather wide, though it can be adjusted it doesn't set for long. I do have a very narrow bridge, and I could be doing something wrong.

OP
OP
thecube

thecube

Yeah, you'd be pushing it I reckon!

My one criticism would be that the rubber nose piece is rather wide, though it can be adjusted it doesn't set for long. I do have a very narrow bridge, and I could be doing something wrong.

I have a small nose (unlike the rest of my family!) so this might be a problem. I might try and get to Evans tomorrow and see what they have. Not sure I'd get much joy from Halfords.

AndyRM

XOXO
I have a small nose (unlike the rest of my family!) so this might be a problem. I might try and get to Evans tomorrow and see what they have. Not sure I'd get much joy from Halfords.

Evans stock Endura stuff which is excellent. Their Shark range is pretty much the same as the DHB. The Stingray version is a couple pounds more but you get four lenses and the bridge is a bit narrower.

Brightski

Chronos Racing Team
I wear clear cycling glasses most of the time it's the insect thing for me, don't really wear them much in the winter..

luckyfox

She's the cats pajamas
Thanks to great advice from @BRounsley I invested in specs a short while ago. Best buy in ages :thumbsup:

They are great as a bug shield but as i can change the lenses too the clear ones are ideal now it's dark first thing.

Top Bottom