Cycling glasses, what's the point?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
I have a small nose (unlike the rest of my family!) so this might be a problem. I might try and get to Evans tomorrow and see what they have. Not sure I'd get much joy from Halfords.

See how you get on without cycling glasses @thecube on your sportive.

maltloaf

I have some Endura Spectral yellow glasses which are excellent for dry conditions but pretty much useless in any sort of rain or road spray. The lenses seem to hold the water drops and soon they end up in the jersey pocket.

Are there any of similar price which are better for repelling water ?

cd365

Guru
I will not ride a bike without glasses, they are a must have for me.
When I took road riding up again a few years ago I used a pair of clear safety glasses for a few weeks, after a stone was spat up by a car and hit my glasses I knew that I would never ride without some sort of eye protection.

BRounsley

Über Member
Just to echo what people have said I never leave home without a pair. Just a hint of a cold wind and I look like I work in an onion chopping factory.

I commuted thought summer with a cheap pair of sunnyies but I’m also a fan of “Endura Spectral Glasses”. Good for the money and the mirror tint version is handy for this time of year.

I recently went out and bought a pair of “POC DO Blade” at an eye watering price (pun intended). It was a real eye opener (pun intended). The lenses are amazing when you go from strong light into shade, they just handle the contrast great. I’m very pleased with them, but they are very much “only on the bike” styling.

Are they 13 times better than the Endura, well no, but maybe 5 times better.

I just need to make sure I don’t sit on them.....as then I would be crying!!!

vickster

Legendary Member
I want some prescription cycling glasses to stop watery eyes in winter, but at £200-300+ they are low down my list of wants! (most seem to have inserts which don't appeal, I will only buy direct glazed)

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Are there any of similar price which are better for repelling water ?
Have you tried using proper glasses cleaner on them? I've one from vision express which discourages water, at least for a while.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I had seen these ones, looks like a good price for a variety of lens types. Maybe too late for my first sportive this weekend mind.
Pop down to your local Argos and grab a pair of the Muddy Fox cycling glasses. They are about a tenner and have interchangeable lenses. I've had mine for about 3 years now. I have better ones for the majority of the time now but those MF glasses are still really good. They will certainly do you for this weekend's sportive.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I want some prescription cycling glasses to stop watery eyes in winter, but at £200-300+ they are low down my list of wants! (most seem to have inserts which don't appeal, I will only buy direct glazed)

thats what get a second pair free is for, I have some with a blue tint so pretty much covers all cloud / sun conditions , granted they arent wrap around but keeps the bugs out andthe worst of the wind off.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I tried some clear wrap around cycling glasses as do tend to get a bit tearful whilst riding... but they made no difference... in fact, they just got in the way when i needed to wipe my eyes.

vickster

Legendary Member
Well I got some from Specsavers which are a bit wraparound but still very watery eyes as the lenses aren't that big unfortunately

Can't get proper cycling glasses on the high street unless go for Oakleys at ridiculous sums (and I really don't like the styling anyhow!). Have to do online which is a pain as can't try them on etc

I am quite close to Optilabs but the decent styles are insert only, suppose I could go and have a butchers at some point

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
A quick wipe down with Mr Sheen on the outside of the lens will help prevent water build-up. Not infallible, but seems to work at least as well as the "proper" motorbike visor rain-treatments.

Top Bottom