Cycling Glasses..why so expensive?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alembicbassman

Confused.com
Been using the Aldi/Lidl ones for a while now, I can chuck them around and not worry about loss or breakage. I have some cheap Riderz ones from Argos, better than the Aldi ones, most expensive ones I bought were Madison D'Arc. Never tried the Bolle or Oakley stuff, can't see £100 worth of polycarbonate there myself. TK Maxx sometimes have the designer names in for £15 on their racks.

vickster

Legendary Member
What can anyone recommend in terms of prescription glasses for riding, preferably from the high street - absolute max around £200 (short sided but not milk bottle level) - prefer something reactolite-esque so suitable for inside and sunny outside

TIA :smile:

vickster

Legendary Member
Hmm optilabs are a few miles away from me in Croydon and they accept visitors...hmmm, could pop over on bike

vickster

Legendary Member
I can't imagine that is very comfortable, especially once the helmet it on...not sure my nose is big enough to take 2 pairs of specs!

You could get some for a tenner as suggest and see how you get on. Not for me though

400bhp

Guru
What can anyone recommend in terms of prescription glasses for riding, preferably from the high street - absolute max around £200 (short sided but not milk bottle level) - prefer something reactolite-esque so suitable for inside and sunny outside

TIA :smile:

There was a recent thread about this. Worth doing a search for the thread as there were some good suggestions.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Mr Carolonabike and I use Bolle saftey glasses, about £10 from ebay. They work really well and if you sit on them or lose them it's not the end of the world.
Me too.
On other days though, only the Ray Ban Wayfarers will do ...

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Optilabs offer an excellent service.
Absolutely love my Cycling glasses I got from them.
A top notch customer service & great people to deal with.

As someone pointed out, they will send you frames to try first if you are too far to visit.

One thing about the glasses though. Is that when you wear them for the first time you do get a goldfish bowl effect which is very strange and disconcerting. This is due to the curvature of the lenses. But you very quickly get used to it.

£160 Well worth spent imo. And will certainly use their service again.

ps. Nothing wrong with their website either.

Mad at urage

As others have said, search for safety glasses or safety sun glasses (depending which you want). Good quality, high protection, break-resistant glasses (often from the same manufacturers) can be found much cheaper than if you look for "cycling glasses": It's the sport-association (as opposed to building site association) that ups the price.

Arsen Gere

Über Member
+1 for Bolle ones, £7 on Ebay, my pair is 3 years old not a scratch, + Rainx £3 from Asda, works on glasses and car windscreen. I use Rainx on both sides and it seems to help stop them fogging on cold mornings, not perfect tho.

Top Bottom