Cycling Hand Signals

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnny

Hey,

I have read in various articles about cycling hand signals for warning others about obstacles in the road, now the only hand signals i know are reserved for motorists who try and kill me and generally involve my middle finger so can anyone shed any light on the friendly kind?

Cheers
Johnny

domtyler

Über Member
Yes, this is an internationally accepted warning signal, easy to perform simply make a circle with thumb and forefinger and wave back and forth rapidly in the direction of the person you wish to warn.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Other than pointing at the obstacle, and waving frantically, nothing springs to mind.

I use the standard turning signals, the "I'm slowing down signal" (the latter if I have to stop and traffic is behind me, all per the highway code).

In addition, I sometimes;
1) Point to a turning if it's not obvious to the driver where I'm going after signalling the direction.
2) Point my arm straight ahead at some busy junctions to show that I'm going straight on
3) Wave thanks and/or thumbs up to someone who's been unusually considerate.
4) Signal with palm facing traffic behind me to try and stop them overtaking where there isn't space.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Dont bother using the middle fingure as a hand signal, unless you have a girly voice.
If i'm in a group then i point out potholes, do the move out signal and stuff, but thats just when i'm on the club ride.
When i'm out on my own then its just signal left, signal right and i point straight on if i signal one way, then realise its not the road i want.

stevenb

John the Monkey said:
Other than pointing at the obstacle, and waving frantically, nothing springs to mind.

I use the standard turning signals, the "I'm slowing down signal" (the latter if I have to stop and traffic is behind me, all per the highway code).

In addition, I sometimes;
1) Point to a turning if it's not obvious to the driver where I'm going after signalling the direction.
2) Point my arm straight ahead at some busy junctions to show that I'm going straight on
3) Wave thanks and/or thumbs up to someone who's been unusually considerate.
4) Signal with palm facing traffic behind me to try and stop them overtaking where there isn't space.

Nicely done.
I would do exactly the same......although 1 and 2 I don't do as I've never had need to. Always do 3 and 4 though.;)

Mortiroloboy

Ah, you be referring to signals to those in the group behind you, warning them of potential hazards ahead-

left hand placed behind back= obstacle(parked car, pedestrian, etc on the near side, move out.

Right hand placed behind back = obstacle (pedestrian/runner/dog walker etc to the offside move in the the near side.

Pointing to the ground left/right= obstacle on the road surface, manhole cover, pothole, roadkill etc.

pointing to ground left/right hand with sort of waving motion= gravel/mud on road.

waving of right hand up and down motion, arm extended= slowing.

Well that's what we do in our club, and of course you can also shout warnings too.

Also:
Right or left hand, palm facing the road and waved gently back and forth: gravel on road.
Ditto, pointing sharply downwards: Pothole, manhole cover, etc.

Jaded

Left hand held at shoulder height, oscillated up and down = deep water ahead
Right hand pointing up to the sky, then rapidly down to earth = meterorite about to strike
Either hand patting the buttocks = come in a bit closer, dogging spot ahead.
Left hand then right hand pulling at facial cheeks alternately = hamsters in road.

Top Bottom