Cycling home

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Pat "5mph"

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
No high-viz? I bet you could see that rucksack ten miles away.:whistle:
Yes, I like bright stuff, in the winter they call me Santa when I cycle to work. The only reason the rest of me is black in the pic, is because I was wearing my work uniform, no jacket as it was a warm evening. Note the glossy red helmet :laugh:

potsy

Rambler
Yes, I like bright stuff, in the winter they call me Santa when I cycle to work. The only reason the rest of me is black in the pic, is because I was wearing my work uniform, no jacket as it was a warm evening. Note the glossy red helmet :laugh:
What are you, a human cannonball? :laugh:

OP
OP
Pat "5mph"

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
So, the picture was taken by this random guy, in a car with a girl driving - no photo taking and driving, ha ha!
Today a colleague shows me the photo on her mobile: I am about to become a you tube sensation :laugh:
.... better raise that saddle for the next pic now!

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I'm not really having a go at your rucksack - just a wee tease.:shy:

For the motorists it probably does work as well as high-vis though. In my opinion (as someone who also drives) what cyclists wear doesn't have to actually be flourescent, just noticeable.:thumbsup:

sunnyjim

Car the guy took the pic from was white: at first mistook him for a white van :evil:

Yea well OK - pre-emptive snarl at white van is acceptable. In daylight black *is* hi-vis and ( if I may say so) suits you.

Arch

Married to Night Train
^_^ The trick is to put your weight on the pedals and just step gently down to the ground.

This is what I have to do on most of my bikes - on the Brom I can sometimes get a foot down comfortably, but that usually means I have the saddle a touch low, and I can tell that it feels much better if it's raised a cm or so. Otherwise, I can just about get a toe down, but it's a bit of a stretch to support my weight that way.

I come to a gentle halt with my right foot on the pedal at the bottom of the stroke, and then it's a 'hup' and forward off the saddle.

You should have a gentle bend in the knee at the bottom of the stroke, with the ball of your foot on the pedal. I gather you can get this by setting the saddle so that your leg is straight if you have your heel on the pedal.

Pat you don't need to put your foot flat on the floor when you come to a stop just the toe of which ever foot you feel comfortable with. It may feel a bit weird at first but you will soon get used to it and as everybody and his dog has already said lift that saddle. About 3 - 4" I recon.

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
Is it a coca-cola logo on your back? (sorry if ive just helped out your stalkers :rolleyes: )

You can raise the saddle a little at a time rather than in one go, so you gradually get used to it. Its always fun when you stop on uneven ground and the floors an extra couple of inches away though :biggrin:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
1875704 said:
Whilst we are all pitching in with helpful advice, I understand that getting the helmet further forward is a good thing. That however is as nothing compared to my delight at seeing another person using a bicycle as their means of transport.

I think a picture paints a thousand words
bicycle-helmet-proper-usage.jpg

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
As a bikeabilty instructor, I always ask kids with saddles too low to imagine walking around all day with their legs bent, and not being allowed to straighten them. I then ask them to imagine riding all day and not being able to straighten their legs. Guess how many ask me to raise their saddles:thumbsup:

As for helmets...well.........meh....if you're going to wear one, wear it properly

Top Bottom