Cycling home

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Is it a coca-cola logo on your back? (sorry if ive just helped out your stalkers :rolleyes: )

You can raise the saddle a little at a time rather than in one go, so you gradually get used to it. Its always fun when you stop on uneven ground and the floors an extra couple of inches away though :biggrin:

Good point about raising it gradually - it'll help you get used to the new position. And if you raise it by increments, it'll be easier to get it right, because you'll know when you've gone too far, if you see what I mean.

I also often take advantage of kerbs to put my foot down and stay on the saddle at lights and so on. The drawback is perhaps that it leaves me closer to the kerb when starting off than might be preferred by many, but I generally move straight out to secondary as I move off, and if I feel I need a stronger position, I just stay out and do the hopping forward off the saddle thing.

OP
OP
Pat "5mph"

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Ok Ok Ok: I've just raised my saddle up about less than an inch: 2.5 cm to be exact. Hope I don't fall off tomorrow :smile:
The helmet thing: I actually think that helmet is too small for me, I tried forward, but then the back of my head was uncovered. Need to look into that.
Mr Jamie: yes, it's a Coca-Cola/Ticket Soup T-shirt, I work for the SECC, that's our sponsors for the moment.
Only get to wear the t-shirt for bar/build up of events shifts. When I'm a Costa coffee barista, I have to wear a proper black shirt :rolleyes:
Thanks all for the advice: my saddle actually used to be even a bit lower, when I just started cycling :laugh:

OP
OP
Pat "5mph"

Pat "5mph"

PS: the helmet, I really wear it because it keeps my hair tidy and my head warm, not because I have such a strong belief that it keeps me safe.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Ok Ok Ok: I've just raised my saddle up about less than an inch: 2.5 cm to be exact. Hope I don't fall off tomorrow :smile:

If you are worried, then try to ensure that when ever you stop, it's in a gentle way - slow down gradually to give yourself plenty of time to remember that you might need to hop forward. So look well ahead to anticipate the need to stop.

OP
OP
Pat "5mph"

Pat "5mph"

If you are worried, then try to ensure that when ever you stop, it's in a gentle way - slow down gradually to give yourself plenty of time to remember that you might need to hop forward. So look well ahead to anticipate the need to stop.
Yes, well, the only time it could end in disaster is at the lights on the double carriage when I'm in the lane going straight - there's a lane going left also, and one going right. I will follow your advice: it's bank holiday tomorrow, so quiet roads :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Pat "5mph"

Pat "5mph"

Don't forget, if it all goes wrong it was Arch that suggested it :whistle:
No, Rickshaw Phil said it first :laugh:

I hope you don't either. You will find pedalling easier, I promise. Oddly enough I've just gone in the other direction after buying a new saddle which when sat on my workbench side by side was within 1mm of being the same height as the old one. I had a proper setup session and found that I had to lower the saddle stem (I refuse to use the word seatpin, idiotic description) by I'd guess 40mm overall, whilst moving it back by about 10-12mm to get the heel-on-the-pedal-with-leg-locked-straight and knee-in-line-with-the-pedal-axle dimensions correct. It's weird, but I knew as soon as I'd got the height correct as all of a sudden it felt right, despite having owned the bike for over 2 years now. Gues I shoulda done it sooner huh ? :blush: By the way, I am on tippy-toes at junctions, worth it to be able to extend my legs properly.

p.s. 2.5cm is an inch :highfive:

OP
OP
Pat "5mph"

Pat "5mph"

Evening all!
Update:
Rode to work this morning with my 2.5 cm (about 1 inch) raised saddle. Did not fall off :tongue: could still put a bit of my foot down, was more comfortable and instantly became 2mph faster without effort :ohmy:
When I got into work, I raised my saddle another wee bit, maybe another inch, knowing that the roads tonight would be deserted, could not come to much harm if a bit wobbly. It worked a treat, was going uphill on a higher gear than my usual, faster than usual. A bit of hopping, like Arch said, was involved, but I could still put a bit of foot down, no probs.
Now :rolleyes: when I got home, I raised the saddle some more to a grand total of just over 2 inches. I also raised the stem a bit, because i don't like cycling too bend forward.
I have the feeling I should also move my saddle a bit more forward, 'cause at times I slide off, so I'll experiment with that.
Thank you all for the tips: Phil, as usual, was spot on in estimating the extra height needed. HeadGardener: I'm shorter than I look: 3/4 inches ... I'll not reach the pedals!
Arch: let's hope I'll still be nimble enough to hop on/ off my bike in a few years time :laugh:
Thank you all again!

Top Bottom