Cycling home

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stephyt

^_^ The trick is to put your weight on the pedals and just step gently down to the ground. It's easier to do than to describe and having the saddle higher would make your riding seem much easier as it causes less strain on the knees.

Everyone I've recommended this to has moaned that they couldn't touch the ground properly but when they've tried it they've found it does work.:angel:
+1 on that.. I do that startin off to on me left foot push of slowly from standing still and then push ur body up onto ur seat if that makes sense lol ;) I've only got little legs too my seats quite high I made sure seat was high enough for my legs to stretch out comfortably with few seat adjustments :smile:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Evening all!
Update:
Rode to work this morning with my 2.5 cm (about 1 inch) raised saddle. Did not fall off :tongue: could still put a bit of my foot down, was more comfortable and instantly became 2mph faster without effort :ohmy:
When I got into work, I raised my saddle another wee bit, maybe another inch, knowing that the roads tonight would be deserted, could not come to much harm if a bit wobbly. It worked a treat, was going uphill on a higher gear than my usual, faster than usual. A bit of hopping, like Arch said, was involved, but I could still put a bit of foot down, no probs.
Now :rolleyes: when I got home, I raised the saddle some more to a grand total of just over 2 inches. I also raised the stem a bit, because i don't like cycling too bend forward.
I have the feeling I should also move my saddle a bit more forward, 'cause at times I slide off, so I'll experiment with that.
Thank you all for the tips: Phil, as usual, was spot on in estimating the extra height needed. HeadGardener: I'm shorter than I look: 3/4 inches ... I'll not reach the pedals!
Arch: let's hope I'll still be nimble enough to hop on/ off my bike in a few years time :laugh:
Thank you all again!
I'm glad it's made an improvement.:thumbsup:

Davidc

Guru
PS: the helmet, I really wear it because it keeps my hair tidy and my head warm, not because I have such a strong belief that it keeps me safe.

Nice to see that someone shares my view of the things!

A helmet may help if you fall off at 5 mph, but with the new-found high speed you'll end up going too fast for them ....

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!

A helmet may help if you fall off at 5 mph, but with the new-found high speed you'll end up going too fast for them ....

Nah, she will need a decent vented helmet to keep her cool with this new speed.

OP
OP
Pat "5mph"

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman

Nah, she will need a decent vented helmet to keep her cool with this new speed.

ha, ha: not too fast now: don't wanna end up like Andrew Culture, just started cycling, already falling allover the place :whistle:

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Good to hear you're finding the higher saddle position more efficient, Pat. At the moment I'm riding just a bit lower than I would prefer to be because I've discovered I've got different length legs and I was straining a tendony-nervy-type thingy over the right hip. The numb stingy-twanginess has gone, sure, but cycling low down feels like I'm climbing stairs all the time, and I don't like stairs. I'm going to ease it up a millimetre or so at a time.

I'd never thought about it before but I realise I always get off the saddle when I stop, using one pedal as the step down, and then set off again using the same pedal, now raised, to step up to the saddle.

Sara_H

Guru
I've been trying the step down method too (nervously as my balance is terrible). Haven't tried stepping up yet.

My nine year old son finds it hilarious, as he gets on and off in the style of a Dutch man (his words)!

OP
OP
Pat "5mph"

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I've been trying the step down method too (nervously as my balance is terrible). Haven't tried stepping up yet.

My nine year old son finds it hilarious, as he gets on and off in the style of a Dutch man (his words)!
Hey, Sara, your son is 9 .... I'm 49! Guess who has stabbed herself on the rear mudguard spoke thing on dismounting? :smile::wacko: There's lots to be said about Dutch style frames, as in "wish I had one" :laugh:

Evening all!
Update:
Rode to work this morning with my 2.5 cm (about 1 inch) raised saddle. Did not fall off :tongue: could still put a bit of my foot down, was more comfortable and instantly became 2mph faster without effort :ohmy:
When I got into work, I raised my saddle another wee bit, maybe another inch, knowing that the roads tonight would be deserted, could not come to much harm if a bit wobbly. It worked a treat, was going uphill on a higher gear than my usual, faster than usual. A bit of hopping, like Arch said, was involved, but I could still put a bit of foot down, no probs.
Now :rolleyes: when I got home, I raised the saddle some more to a grand total of just over 2 inches. I also raised the stem a bit, because i don't like cycling too bend forward.
I have the feeling I should also move my saddle a bit more forward, 'cause at times I slide off, so I'll experiment with that.
Thank you all for the tips: Phil, as usual, was spot on in estimating the extra height needed. HeadGardener: I'm shorter than I look: 3/4 inches ... I'll not reach the pedals!
Arch: let's hope I'll still be nimble enough to hop on/ off my bike in a few years time :laugh:
Thank you all again!
Sorry I was trying to judge how long your legs were fully extended and obviously got it wrong:blush:.

<Runs away quick before I get a slap.>

Top Bottom