Cycling hopes and dreams for 2022

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bliip

I've really learned this point very much this year. The old leg strength is declining due to lumbar disc/sciatic issues and I used to beat myself up still trying to manage distances/speeds I could do even a couple of years ago then came to my senses. If there's days I only manage 20 miles at 12 mph now I really don't care any more. Much more important that I enjoy these 20 miles. :smile:
I can relate. I had to sell my road bike and get a fitness bike with straight handle bars though still pretty aggressive and I finally got my wife riding again after a crash 10 years ago. She is on a comfort hybrid but the main thing is she is riding. Our goal is 15-20 miles each outing depending on the ocean wind. Right now riding is riding.

Last edited by a moderator:
I retire next month so I will have plenty of time and a couple of thousand pounds a year to spend on cycling. I aim to do that! (Spending on rail fares, accommodation, and any bike spares that I need.)

I want to find out how much my current relative lack of fitness can be sorted out by losing 6 or 7 kg and riding my bike more. I can definitely improve, but I very strongly suspect that the damage done to my cardiovascular and pulmonary systems by blood clots 8 or 9 years ago will prevent me ever being really fit again. We'll see...

If I could get fit enough to do the shallow 8+ km Cragg Vale climb in 20 minutes I would be very happy - that has been my goal for years. If I could do it in 23.5 minutes, that would match my best ever time and I would be content with that if that turned out to be as good as I could get. I have been taking more like 30 minutes recently.

I should be having 3 or 4 cycling holidays next year based at my sister's new home in Devon. I want to explore Devon, Cornwall, Somerset and Dorset.

That lot should keep me busy for next year.

Maybe in post-pandemic times I will renew my passport and start cycling abroad again, but I don't expect that to happen in 2022.
Thats an impressive lot things to next year. Good for you. Enjoy.

I've really learned this point very much this year. The old leg strength is declining due to lumbar disc/sciatic issues and I used to beat myself up still trying to manage distances/speeds I could do even a couple of years ago then came to my senses. If there's days I only manage 20 miles at 12 mph now I really don't care any more. Much more important that I enjoy these 20 miles. :smile:
I recently brought a drop-bar pedal assist bike that delivers an extra 30% worth of leg strength to regain my lost youth. If you are tempted to move onto the dark side and buy a pedal assist the story of goodbye bessie - my old bike - and hello gypsy may extend your cycling pleasure for many, many more years to come. Merry Christmas : www.harlechjoe.wordpress.com

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Simple - To enjoy as many miles as i can

Mo1959

Legendary Member
To wean myself off Strava, not to set a yearly distance target and to enjoy my rides because I want to go out!
I deleted my old Strava account and started a new one and no longer follow/get followed by anyone. Takes what felt like a bit of pressure off to do more or go faster than I was comfortable with. Sounds silly putting pressure on yourself like that, but if you’ve got a slightly competitive nature, you can’t always help it. :laugh:

D

Deleted member 1258

I deleted my old Strava account and started a new one and no longer follow/get followed by anyone. Takes what felt like a bit of pressure off to do more or go faster than I was comfortable with. Sounds silly putting pressure on yourself like that, but if you’ve got a slightly competitive nature, you can’t always help it. :laugh:

Fortunately I've never used strava, unfortunately if I had have done I would have got competitive, which would have been fine when I was younger and a club cyclist, strava didn't exist in those days, but these days i just want to enjoy the ride.

Falsesummat

I'd love to be fit enough to ride London Edinburgh London.
That is both physically and mentally. I'm aware of the sheer volume required, and to that end have structured a lower volume of work for forthcoming year2022. I'm self.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I've never had a broken collar bone and I'd prefer not to.
I think I have, but I was such a wimp that I refused to go to the hospital to find out for sure! (It was agonisingly painful and I had to wear a sling for 6-8 weeks before it finally stopped hurting. There is a bump on the top of that shoulder and there isn't one on the uninjured side so I think the bone was broken but was able to heal without surgery.)

I've broken both collar bones more than once. My arms are now about an inch shorter than they used to be. This means I can no longer touch the bathroom ceiling and sleeves (shirts, coats) are too long.

Top Bottom