Cycling in Europe..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Right guys,

If you had some free time around the end of the year (November-ish) and fancied a trip away riding in Europe where would you go? - Summer is out of the question because I'm already going to the Alps for a couple of weeks so end of year trip planning here.

Obviously the weather would need to be reasonable, not mega expensive; other than that anything goes really- nice country side too obviously.

Cheers,
C

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
End of November in Europe?
Weather is potentially a bit chancy for mainland Europe, but if we include the Canaries...

OP
OP
C

Chescadence

Tenerife.... depends if you like mountains.
Mallorca..... good varied all round cycling. fairly quiet roads.
Morrocco...?

I don't mind climbing; in fact I quite like it.

I think it's all got to be a compromise between the cycling, the weather and the costs.

The weather in South-West France is normally fine until late December. Had some of my best riding in October/November. Months to avoid are January to mid-March. Also would be pretty cheap to stay as B&B,s, Gites and Hotels would appreciate the out-of-season trade. Corsica is also supposed to be good, but never been.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Corsica is brilliant.
Food, wine and scenery are all great, there's mountains, beaches, flat bits and hardly anyone around.
Handy Hint.
Before going skinny-dipping in a rather tempting looking river, do check that you're not about to jump into snowmelt. It took quite some time in a warm bath to retrieve my gonads.

OP
OP
C

Chescadence

Corsica could work- Always imagined it'd be a bit expensive compared to Majorca/tenerife etc?

I should have mentioned: I'm unable to hire a car out there so the hotel would have to be accessible by public transport or hotel/airport transfer. So perhaps a slightly larger-ish resort might be better..

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Erm...why? You're taking a bike are you not?
Granted, you might not want to be smack bang next to an airport, but I've flown into Genevabefore, rebuilt the bike and then cycled 30 miles to a hotel.
If cost is an issue, then certainly anywhere Spanish is cheaper than France.
A lot of winter training camps are in Lanzarote - could be worth a look?
I've also heard good things about the Italian Bikehotels on the Adriatic coast. I think flights there are a Ryanair job, but they can sort transfers and bike hire.

Top Bottom