Cycling in Fife

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I am off to the East Neuk of Fife in August for a week of R and R. Pittenweem to be precise. I know the area reasonably having stayed there a couple of times at the same cottage. My question is do I take a road bike or a mountain bike?
My son has a mtb so I could take his as well. But is it worth it, are there any fun non road routes worth cycling or should I just take the road bike and sneak out early before the rest of the family get up?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Get on line and check out google maps or OS maps and see if there are any bridleways near the cottage.

novemberdelta

I am off to the East Neuk of Fife in August for a week of R and R. Pittenweem to be precise. I know the area reasonably having stayed there a couple of times at the same cottage. My question is do I take a road bike or a mountain bike?
My son has a mtb so I could take his as well. But is it worth it, are there any fun non road routes worth cycling or should I just take the road bike and sneak out early before the rest of the family get up?

There are tons of great roads around the East Neuk, not least a St Andrews loop with an ice cream stop. Take the road bike.

ACS

Legendary Member
Working in St Andrews and living in the middle of NE Fife, I use the East Neuk coast road often as a way of extending my commute home. As novemberdelta has suggested the a loop out and back to St Andrews is very pleasant. Jannettas Gelateria in St A's is excellent. Coffee, cake and ice cream in the same place :-)

Being a coastal road there is no where to hide from the wind which can be challenging especially if it is roaring in from the north and / or the East.

If time permits a jaunt over to Falkland village is worth a visit and if you fancy testing you legs Falkland Hill from the village side is a bit of a test.

I don't have any information on MTB riding I'm sorry to say, just not my thing :-)

Any questions give me a shout

Regards

Andy

Last edited:
Top Bottom