Cycling in foreign (not UK) cities?...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Just returned from 5 days in Rome, and the one thing I really noticed was the lack of cyclists in the city and that was at all times of the day!

Considering Italy is THE place and cyclists and kit mentioned as THE stuff to have, I expected more.
TBH I think I could have counted no more than 20 on any day.

I suppose the weekend may be different ???

I did notice lots of other things though.

defy-one

Tell me more. I'm taking Mrs Defy to Rome next weekend for our 22nd anniversary.
Places to see. Where to stay. Best way to get about (she doesn't cycle)

OP
OP
TonyEnjoyD

TonyEnjoyD

Guru
Mr Defy, you're just gonna love it.
We pre-booked the transfer coach which was handy (6 euro each way per person) with Terravision, and pre-booked the all-in-one tickets for the Colloseum-Forum-Palatine in one ticket and went past everyone in the huge queue to the turnstiles.
If you want to pm me your email addy I can throw some info and links across to you via email as it'll be easier.

Tony

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I fear cycling in Rome is a bit dangerous also not cool - I come from the outskirts of Rome.
The moped and the car is the way to go for the Romans.
I am informed by my friend that lives in Milan, mostly a flat area, that there cycling is considered the norm, everybody cycles.

OP
OP
TonyEnjoyD

TonyEnjoyD

Guru
I will say Pat that it's the craziest driving and system I have ever come across, it sometimes seems just random!

Personally tho, I think the traffic in our towns would def benefit from using their system for use of crossings from both a ped and driver perspective.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I will say Pat that it's the craziest driving and system I have ever come across, it sometimes seems just random!

Personally tho, I think the traffic in our towns would def benefit from using their system for use of crossings from both a ped and driver perspective.
Yes, it's mad!
I have a Danish friend that lives in Rome now, has done for 10 years: don't think she ever went near a bike since moving :laugh:
I will ask her next time we email, if she ever would consider cycling in Rome!

Top Bottom