Cycling in Gothenburg

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Julia9054

Guru
We are going to Gothenburg for a few days this week
I know next to nothing about Sweden. Is it a country well known for good cycling infrastructure?
Whenever I take a break in a foreign city, i always consider hiring bikes for exploring.
Any knowledge of Sweden in general and Gothenburg in particular would be most welcome.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Its scandanavia. Of course its good for cycling. The Gothenburg canal is a polular in the summer for cycling. I am in Denmark and the weather has been awful for weeks.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Last time I was in Gothenburg (a very long time ago) there were trams so do watch out for dropping the front wheel into a rail. That doesn't end well usually. Of course the trams may no longer exist........ Otherwise I'm sure it's a great place for pedalling.

snorri

Legendary Member
I got stuck for a week in Gothenburg at the end of a cycle tour whilst waiting for a ferry back to the UK and thoroughly enjoyed the experience, but that was in the summer of 2001. It depends on what interests you, I spent much of my time on the waterfront exploring by bicycle the harbours, quaysides and beaches.
There was a good network of cycle routes, a Google search for 'Gothenburg bike routes' reveals the current options.

U

User169

I was there last weekend. Maybe it depends what you’re used to, but it seemed ok, but not great for bikes. Pretty hilly for a start! Badly painted mixed use paths seem to be the order of the day. Hundreds of electric scooters everywhere, so download the app and you'll be away. It's not a huge place though and the trams and buses are great to get around.

Stephenite

Membå
I like Gothenburg. Usually there for a long weekend each year to kickstart the summer holiday. Universeum is worth a visit. Never ridden a bike there though as i'm with the kids and we baz about on the tram. Pop into the natural history museum :smile:

Stephenite

Membå
...and congratulations!

Quick tip - they drive/ride on the right and this means the brakes are the opposite way round.

OP
OP
Julia9054

Julia9054

Guru
...and congratulations!

Quick tip - they drive/ride on the right and this means the brakes are the opposite way round.
A friend of mine had a horrible downhill mountain biking accident in France by not realising this.
Which reminds me of my horrible accident in Germany as a teenager when i discovered the hard way that pedal back brake bikes existed!

"Cycling in the Pyrenees...Cycling in Gothenburg"....it seems every time you come on here these days it's to show off about which exotic location you're swishing around! I'm sure Gothenburg will have its charms, but let's face it, it's going to have to go some to beat cycling in Sunderland.
Have a great time - congratulations to you and @Almartino

OP
OP
Julia9054

Julia9054

Guru
Today’s ride - like pedalling a tank! We rode out to the seaside and back

Not sure who’s bum this saddle was designed for - not mine! It seems to have a massive indent in the middle (the saddle - not my bum!) - I felt like I was falling in!

Top Bottom