Cycling in Gozo

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rugby bloke

Veteran
Obscure thread time. I am off on holiday to Gozo next week and fancy hiring a bike for couple of days.

Does anyone have any experience of cycling on the island and any tips /advice to pass on ?

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
gonzo.jpg

the stupid one

Über Member
My lovely lady wife and I have only ever rented bikes twice while on holiday, but one of those occasions was in Gozo. And it was fun! The roads weren't too busy at all, nowhere near the madness of mainland Malta, except possibly from the ferry port at Mgarr into the capital Victoria. User is spot on about the road surfaces and the hills (it was about fifteen years ago we biked there, mind you). We did find one beautiful, smooth black resurfaced gradient running down into Marsalforn from Xaghra.

If you go during the hunting season (Autumn-ish, I think) be aware that some of the smaller tracks may have been roped off by bad-tempered old men with shotguns who will not make you welcome. Also, it you're hoping to see the beautiful Azure Window at Dwejra . . . it collapsed into the sea back in March.

the stupid one

Über Member
Is the hunting season when they blast all the overnighting songbirds out of the sky?

That's the one. It's "traditional". I had a terrible falling-out with one of them which put me right off the place.

Rugby Bloke, the place we hired our bikes from was actually in Marsalforn, so you might not have too far to go.

Top Bottom