Cycling in Ireland

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Julia9054

Guru
Whilst out on the bikes today, the subject of summer holidays came up. Husband suggested taking the bikes to Ireland. Apart from a long weekend in Dublin 17 years ago, i know nothing about the place. It would be for 7 - 10 days in late July, early August and we would be driving and staying Airbnb probably in a couple of places and doing bike rides rather than cycling place to place. What do people recommend? Which areas and what to see and do?

I've went through Irish Cycling Safaris their website http://www.cyclingsafaris.com/ might give you some ideas.

classic33

Leg End Member
What part of Ireland, if you have any preference?

See also the tag now in place. Tap that, and it will bring up a few places you might want to try.

OP
OP
Julia9054

Julia9054

Guru
I have no preference. It was just an idea that came up today and I don't know anything about Ireland so was wanting suggestions. Website looks interesting though our holiday will be the diy type rather than an organised tour.
We are the "pootling 40 - 60 miles with interesting things to see" type of cyclists rather than the "belt up a big mountain as fast as you can" types!

Aravis

Putrid Donut
It's many years since I've been there, so I envy you. If I were planning the type of trip you're thinking of, I'd look for somewhere in south Donegal, within easy reach of Donegal's Atlantic coast, the wildest part of Ireland I think, and also close to the Fermanagh lakeland, which is unlike anything else in these islands - reminiscent of Finland I believe. County Sligo with the amazing shape of Ben Bulben is nearby also. Then there is the historic city of Londonderry for something completely different.

From Yorkshire, the Cairnryan - Larne crossing is convenient if you're going to that part.

I think this would be the best way to maximise variety. Others will have different opinions I'm sure!

classic33

Leg End Member
Most of those listed are pootling along. Many where a time is given, is for an estimate only so you can choose beforehand.

I've concentrated on the West, because that's where I've done most of my cycling. Including getting there.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
What about the new cycle route they have been developing? Or if you cross at Cairnryan then there is the north coast road or though the Mournes.

What sort of cycling or scenery do you like?

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Which one?
The one I've followed on here - I've not cycled it myself (yet;))

The Western Greenway is one of the ones I was thinking about, but weren't they also doing a long distance route in parts?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Julia9054

Julia9054

Guru
Thank you.
Lots of good ideas to get my research started. (@classic33 - have just worked out what you mean by tags!)
Not averse to hills - I live in Yorkshire - but prefer undulating to big mountains. Like a bit of castles/historical stuff.

classic33

Leg End Member
Thank you.
Lots of good ideas to get my research started. (@classic33 - have just worked out what you mean by tags!)
Not averse to hills - I live in Yorkshire - but prefer undulating to big mountains. Like a bit of castles/historical stuff.
Sorry about not explaining the tags better. You've just over 200 miles cycling to Holyhead(I''ve a179) & about 90 to Liverpool.
You've Bunratty Castle. East Clare Heritage Centre(at the bottom of what they say is a steep hill), where if you were to turn Right at the triangular roundabout and take the road, on your your right would be a scene from a galaxy far far away, long long ago. Face up the the "steep hill", and you'll get a chance to see Ireland's oldest oak tree. Stay on the road to Killaloe and you'll overlook the Shannon.

lpretro1

Did a trip round the coats from Cork to Killarney a while back - fantastic scenery & riding and good craic. Took train to Holyhead then ferry to Dublin where we stayed overnight and then train to Cork next day. Train back to Dublin at end

classic33

Leg End Member
Did a trip round the coats from Cork to Killarney a while back - fantastic scenery & riding and good craic. Took train to Holyhead then ferry to Dublin where we stayed overnight and then train to Cork next day. Train back to Dublin at end
Any problems with taking the bike(s) on the trains over there?

Top Bottom