Cycling in Ireland

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tyred

Legendary Member
Donegal, Sligo, Leitrim and Mayo, wilder, cheaper and less touristy than other places like the ring of Kerry.

I personally prefer the west coast as it's wilder and more remote but assuming you arrive in Dublin, the Wicklow mountains, Carlingford/Greenore and the Boyne Valley are places not too far away from Dublin which offer a lot of beautiful scenery.

I'll take an opportunity to plug my blog but it might give you some ideas if you want to go north/west - https://theoldbikeshome.wordpress.com/ I'm happy to advise if you want any more info on any of those places.

classic33

Leg End Member
Thought I'd tagged you Tyred!

Liverpool is out as a departure point if travelling by bikes alone. No car ferry will let them on, at present! May alter for the summer months.

Last edited:

tyred

Legendary Member
There is also the Causeway coastal route. I love the Causeway/Ballycastle/Torr Head/Cushendun area but the part between Belfast and Cushendun is nice enough and very easy terrain but it's a fast flowing main road and not that nice to cycle IMO. The Mournes is an area I need to explore more and the Sperrin mountains is a less obvious area but one with nice scenery too.

Sligo/Leitrim still gets my vote though and if you do go there, spend a night or two in Strandhill as it's got a great live music scene.

classic33

Leg End Member
There is also the Causeway coastal route. I love the Causeway/Ballycastle/Torr Head/Cushendun area but the part between Belfast and Cushendun is nice enough and very easy terrain but it's a fast flowing main road and not that nice to cycle IMO. The Mournes is an area I need to explore more and the Sperrin mountains is a less obvious area but one with nice scenery too.

Sligo/Leitrim still gets my vote though and if you do go there, spend a night or two in Strandhill as it's got a great live music scene.
Connaught!

classic33

Leg End Member
@Julia9054, Michelin have a decent pocket size map, that covers the whole of Ireland. Shows many of the minor roads shown on larger maps. Some I've had the time to travel down/along more than once.

One of the better ones, given it's price, £2.99. I'd not touch the Marco Polo map as it shows roads that aren't where they are. A mistake a relative made and ended up on private land.

The other thing worth noting is some places require lights on during daylight hours. Nenagh being one such place. Caught there a few years ago with no lights, I'd them with me for the return trip so no real problem.

Sixmile

Veteran
There are a few options if you arrive into Dublin. I'm from up north but have cycled a wee bit in Southern Ireland and have plans for Spring this year too.

One suggestion would be to ride from Dublin towards Mullingar, depending on your desired daily mileage that could be a great overnight location as it's a lovely wee town with some cycle friendly cafes. In between Dublin and Mullingar there are small completed sections of the Dublin to Galway greenway and the current canal path can also be used, although is pretty rough in places. From there, the greenway section from Mullingar to Athlone is nothing short of superb. 40km of traffic free poker straight brand new asphalt to take you through some scenic Irish countryside. Athlone is another great option to stay in with a couple of great b&b's. Unfortunately the completed greenway section stops at Athlone. If you head on then to Galway you're on the West coast and can follow the Great Atlantic Way and if heading northward, join another fantastic greenway stretching from Westport to Achill. We have Airbnb'd in a few locations this side too, so let me know if you need recommendations.

From Dublin another option is to head north. The new motorway has taken almost all of the traffic away from the old roads used between Dublin and Belfast therefore making this a great coastal ride (in parts) up through the towns of Drogheda, Dundalk and into Newry. From Newry there is a 20+ mile greenway to Lurgan, then a few country roads until Lisburn, then there's another cycle greenway along the banks of the Lagan river from Lisburn into Belfast. Boats from Belfast head to either Cairnryan or Birkenhead. It all depends on what kind of mileage you fancy doing and what you'd like to see. Let me know and I'll help you with any information that you need.

I plan to do a mini tour in the summer from Belfast to Dublin, boat to Holyhead, ride to Birkenhead and then back to Belfast on the overnight boat. If you (or anyone) have route or AirBNB recommendations for that I'd be delighted to hear them!

Tin Pot

Guru
@Tin Pot, how would you rate the roads from Dublin to the North.?

Granted you didn't have much time to view the scenery.

I used the R132 to get out from Swords, quality of roads always depends on your point of reference. We're not talking fresh tarmac, but neither is it like the potholed nightmares I've dealt with - it could do with resurfacing but it wouldn't put me off.

Neither is the R132 picturesque, this is a functional route. Plenty advised me to get to the coast earlier and if you have time I'd do that.

The R166 out of Drogheda toward Termonfeckin is again pretty functional but it felt more like countryside to me, and as it turns up north you get the coastal views and can nip into villages or onto seafront roads.

I'm used to cycling London and North Kent, and whilst I enjoyed the adventure I'd say it's a bleak beauty, if you see my meaning - elemental.

lpretro1

Any problems with taking the bike(s) on the trains over there?
Absolutely none - it was great - rock up at Dublin Station -no booking ahead) ask for ticket to Cork plus bike (there were four of us) - no problem. Directed us to where bikes go - a goods carriage where (very helpful & friendly - not your typical miserable British type) conductor loaded bikes (there were lots) in order of where you were getting off. The tag on your bike corresponds to your ticket so nobody can nick it. Go find a seat nearby. Sorted. They also have a great system of bikes you can hire at a station and drop it back at another station

jags

Guru
I'm on the north east. If u need routes no problem.the trip from Dublin to newry is pretty flat nice route coastal for best part .roads are not exactly smooth but I seen worse .

classic33

Leg End Member
I've done Dublin to Birdhill(Birthill, seperates you from the tourists)/Killaloe and onto Ennis or Dublin to Foxford. Both to get to a start point on the West Coast.

From either it's a gentle pootle from a central base, usually a relatives.

Motorways aside, you have three types of road as shown on maps:
N Roads, major roads that take just about any form of wheeled transport.
R Roads, slighty narrower in most cases, but expect to find anything on wheels using them.
L Roads, vary from half decent roads down to dirt tracks. Marked yellow on most maps. You might start on tarmac, but end up on a dirt track. These are the ones to watch for on any map, the roads to no-where in some cases. But often you'll get some spectacular views.

jags

Guru
classic 33 have u ever toured meath louth area come across any good secret campsite worth a stay.

jags

Guru
trying to plan a few short tours when the weather gets good lol.
louth /meath maybe head up north ,but im kinda looking for small campsites nice and quiet.

Top Bottom