Cycling in Kendal -is it always this bad?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
So I've left the comfort of lovely East Anglia for a couple of days of enforced hard labour thanks to my work, in Kendal.

Took the train and my Brompton to buzz about the place. I've already had 3 aggressive drivers in just one day including a chap in a van who deliberately drove straight at me. All that's about what I'd expect in a year or two back home.

Also a couple of winos in a park trying to knock me off the cycle path and enough selfish pavement parking to send the YPLAC site into meltdown. One woman drove along the pavement to park while I was walking as if I wasn't there.

I've never been up here before and frankly hope to never return. Is it always like this or do the locals just really hate cyclists ?!

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
They clearly need their narrative changing.

Probably to do with time of year. Schools are back, traffic is heavy and everyone seems to have forgotten how to drive. Its funny how driving into work over the six weeks there was no accidents but there has been a few in the space of a week.

OP
OP
Glow worm

Glow worm

Legendary Member
There's a decent enough cycle path through the place, oddly along the route of a filled in old canal - new one on me. It does have all the usual crap chicanes added at junctions though.

The town seems nice enough too, but so many really aggressive locals! Maybe they just don't like old boys cycling around the place wearing Norwich city baseball caps or something.

Can't wait to get home tomorrow - frankly you can keep the bloody lakes ! The more I travel, the less I like leaving home these days.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Can't say I have too many problems in Kendal tbh - I cycle through it maybe 4 times a month and drive through most days.

Where was the pavement parking? Struggling to think where this could be. Never seen any pavement parking in the nigh on 20 years I have lived here.

OP
OP
Glow worm

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Can't say I have too many problems in Kendal tbh - I cycle through it maybe 4 times a month and drive through most days.

Where was the pavement parking? Struggling to think where this could be. Never seen any pavement parking in the nigh on 20 years I have lived here.

This is just from my hotel window. You should see round the corner. All locals too as they've all buggered off now. What a bunch of farkin daffodils.

image.jpg

Do they not bother with traffic wardens here?

Anyway I don't really GAF now, as I'll be back home tomorrow

Last edited:

midlife

Guru
Impreza with an STi wing and extra stiffies :smile:

The larger Lakes towns can be a bit chock a block but plenty of quiet places off the tourist track.

Shaun

earlestownflya

the lakes is a super popular place....the more vehicles you have the more bad drivers you get.plus you got the d*ck head delivery drivers going at mach1 on tight twisty lanes it's not their vehicle,they don't give sh*t ,kamikaze bus drivers with a suicidal look on their face...then my favorite..the posh totty...standing 4' 5" high, driving audi Q8's , necks cranked up trying to see over the dash........beautiful place though;)

There's a decent enough cycle path through the place, oddly along the route of a filled in old canal - new one on me. It does have all the usual crap chicanes added at junctions though.

The town seems nice enough too, but so many really aggressive locals! Maybe they just don't like old boys cycling around the place wearing Norwich city baseball caps or something.

Can't wait to get home tomorrow - frankly you can keep the bloody lakes ! The more I travel, the less I like leaving home these days.
Ah Glow Worm you are suffering from the blinkered thinking brought on by having to leave your home environment to do something that you really do not want to do. Your last sentence sums up your problem beautifully. Come back in early spring without the baggage of work and with time to relax, ride along the towpath of only canal in the country that is actually a right of way for its whole length. Take a ride over Shap to Penrith and get the train back. Take the train to Windermere and ride back along quiet roads, that are maybe a challenge to someone used to the plains country. But above all chill-out.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
This is just from my hotel window. You should see round the corner. All locals too as they've all buggered off now. What a bunch of farkin daffodils.

View attachment 103901

Do they not bother with traffic wardens here?

Anyway I don't really GAF now, as I'll be back home tomorrow never to return thank f@&k!

Not sure where that is - looks like an entrance to a private parking place.

I'd have to say politely that you sound OTT on Kendal's 'problems'. It's not right but I think you have extrapolated that into something that is not.

As I said I've never seen a car parked on the pavement (unless you count the parking spaces for the dry cleaners opposite the Porsche garage) and double yellows seem well respected.

Sorry you didn't enjoy your stay - and by not coming back you're denying yourself some beautiful cycling. Did you actually get out of Kendal or just ride around the town centre?

Anyway, one less tourist won't kill the local economy but will keep the roads (marginally) clearer. :tongue:

Top Bottom