Cycling in that there London.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Had a few days spare before starting my new job, and the weather forecast was good for the south east of the UK, and not so good for the west of Scotland (yes yes, I know!). So; bike into car and off early on Saturday morning to the big smoke (well, a Travelodge near Heathrow as London hotels are wayyyy out of my price range, and it's only an hour into town on the bike). Was there by lunch time, so got a lap of the Heathrow perimeter road done (from Colnbrook, so 15 miles). Love the buzz about Heathrow.

Quite enjoyed the two full days I had, but I can see why the local cyclists don't have a very high opinion of drivers. In keeping with most other things in London, everyone is in too much of a hurry, and conflict is the inevitable result. I only had one close pass in two days, by the same guy who then left hooked me in his hurry to get into B&Q (branch near the fly-over at the end of the M4). I followed him in for a wee word but I don't think he understood a word of my Mr Angry Scots accent :laugh:. He was a member of staff at B&Q..
Was not impressed with some of the signage and got lost a few times; and some of the road surfaces are not the best. But other than that, it was OK.. I must admit though, I do prefer cycling where the sheep are the main hazards.
Sundays ride here, was for the CC monthly 100km challenge. Brixton was the main destination, for my annual fix of Jamaican food :hungry:.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
I think taking the bike a distance from home is going to be the only way to find some bloomin nice weather just now. Just checked the long term forecast and it looks like plenty more rain to come :sad: and to make matters worse, when I look at some areas in England they are getting lovely sunny days and folks on here talking about cycling in shorts and short sleeves!

Glad you enjoyed your mini break. :thumbsup:

The Jogger

Legendary Member
I live in the sticks , well Hampshire but do all of my cycle commute in London, i do prefer the weekends for cycling, although London can be entertaining to cycle in, some of the exchanges with cab drivers , usually, in my case.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I think taking the bike a distance from home is going to be the only way to find some bloomin nice weather just now. Just checked the long term forecast and it looks like plenty more rain to come :sad: and to make matters worse, when I look at some areas in England they are getting lovely sunny days and folks on here talking about cycling in shorts and short sleeves!

Like today commute for me :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member

Was in shorts and T shirt on Saturday; first time my pasty skin has seen sunshine since that day last August when it shone here.
West London was very foggy when I left this morning, but it cleared as I headed up the M40 (by car!). As I crossed the frontier at Gretna, it started to get darker and greyer. Realised I was getting close to home when the rain came on about Moffat :sad:. It did brighten up a bit as I got near the coast though; or more likely my brain was playing tricks after driving 400 miles :wacko:.

How long did the drive take? Heading up your way in a few weeks.

OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member
Cool, i was hoping to do it in less than 9 hours. Bute for the early May bank holiday.
Nice; some good cycling on the Island and vicinity! We are having a CC Ecosse ride there on 27th April. I'm from Bute originally, hence the Brandane name. Now live just across the water in Largs. Give us a shout if you fancy a meet up with some of the other local-ish members during your break.

Nice; some good cycling on the Island and vicinity! We are having a CC Ecosse ride there on 27th April. I'm from Bute originally, hence the Brandane name. Now live just across the water in Largs. Give us a shout if you fancy a meet up with some of the other local-ish members during your break.
Well i'm taking the wifey for her birthday and to get her into cycling a bit more. The plan is to do a lap of the island with her on Saturday and Sunday then do a couple more laps and a few times up and down castle street by myself both days plus the Jazz fest is on so i can't see us leaving the island once there tbh. If you're all planning a trip over though i'd love to tag along although that might cut down my hopes of getting an overseas KOM somewhat.

Top Bottom