Cycling in the Caribbean

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
Has anyone been cycling in the Caribbean? I'm wondering why more people don't go on cycling holidays to places like Barbados. Granted, it's a long way but the views must be amazing and the terrain challenging. Another destination added to my bucket list.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Too bloody hot would be my first thought

vickster

Legendary Member
Can be a bit breezy at this time of year!

Meteorological flatulence Notwithstanding, the road infrastructure is probably not the best, at least for road cycling

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Because it has beaches and the scenery while beautiful is full of palm trees and other foliage and wild animals normally associated with tropical countries. Its more of a sunbathers and hikers dream rather then a cyclists unless you like riding through rain forests or jungles?

Stay on the beach, and enjoy the sun, sand and surf. Get a 29'er with fat tyres and ride it up and down the beach if you have to but id rather go for a swim in the sea and ride sea turtles and frolic with the sharks

OP
OP
Welsh wheels

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
Because it has beaches and the scenery while beautiful is full of palm trees and other foliage and wild animals normally associated with tropical countries. Its more of a sunbathers and hikers dream rather then a cyclists unless you like riding through rain forests or jungles?

Stay on the beach, and enjoy the sun, sand and surf. Get a 29'er with fat tyres and ride it up and down the beach if you have to but id rather go for a swim in the sea and ride sea turtles and frolic with the sharks
There must be some decent surfaced roads around the islands though I would imagine?

I've been to Barbados four times after the hurricane season (mid October for about a 3-4 weeks each time) during the late 1980s and early 1990s.

The weather was always good and there was a steady temperature of 30c. As much as I liked the island as a beach holiday destination, I wouldn't want to cycle there as the roads were in a terrible state and the driving left a lot to be desired.

Go and enjoy the sun, rum, sea, beaches, cricket, calypso, reggae, food and wonderfully friendly and genuine people, but leave the bike at home.

Just to say that I have no idea how cycling would be on other islands in the Caribbean. And, who knows, in the 25 years since I was last there, things may have improved.

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
I tried doing a nice bike ride in Porto Santo. I managed to ride the entire length of the island in a few hours, then when i got back to the hotel I got heatstroke and spent a day and half in bed - all the while the all inclusive beer and wine was left standing for others to quaff. Never again. Go to the beach or the pool and stay there.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
IME the road surfacing on Caribbean island is better on average than the UK (presumably due to the lack of frost heave). Perfectly good destinations to cycle, with Feb-Mayish prime. Plenty of cycling in Barbados, St Lucia et al.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I understand the problem in Cuba is availability of spare parts and that most bikes are Chinese clunker MTBs, so the safest bet is to go on one of the many organised cycle tours. I don't know if it's improved recently.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I understand the problem in Cuba is availability of spare parts and that most bikes are Chinese clunker MTBs, so the safest bet is to go on one of the many organised cycle tours. I don't know if it's improved recently.

Cubans are the world's best bodgers. Most of the taxis in Havana are 1950s american cars with much more modern far east diesel engines. I don't think they used the original maker's diesel conversion kit; they just made up whatever bits were needed and got it to work. My slightly laboured point is that they will be able to fix a bike, even if it means fabricating a new part out of an old farm gate.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Cubans are the world's best bodgers. Most of the taxis in Havana are 1950s american cars with much more modern far east diesel engines. I don't think they used the original maker's diesel conversion kit; they just made up whatever bits were needed and got it to work. My slightly laboured point is that they will be able to fix a bike, even if it means fabricating a new part out of an old farm gate.
I think they cater for riders of smaller frames, too :smile:

Brandane

Legendary Member
I've cycled in the Caribbean! Admittedly it was a long time ago when I was aged 6 to 14 and lived in Jamaica (1968 to '76). Initially on some old second hand American clunker from Sears department store. It had a conventional front brake but one of those "back pedal to brake" efforts on the rear. Then when I was 10 I got a nice new Philips bike with proper brakes - the first bike I fell in love with :smile:. In those days I probably never cycled any further than a couple of miles from home - it just wasn't safe and not just from a cycling perspective.

I have been back on holiday since then and it never even crossed my mind to cycle. Jamaica has a high road death rate and it's easy to see why that is. Driving is suicidal. Road surfaces are in the main, atrocious. Away from the main highways the roads are narrow and winding. You wouldn't want to be driving, never mind cycling :sad:.

Last edited:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Cubans [...] My slightly laboured point is that they will be able to fix a bike, even if it means fabricating a new part out of an old farm gate.
Quite likely, but based on my limited experience, I wouldn't expect it to happen quickly or in the time or place you might expect! There's also quite a chance that any bike you could hire would be part farm gate and maybe not in a good way.

Oh and the roads were often bodged by sticking steel plate over potholes, which must make for amusing cycling, especially if it rains. Plenty of people doing it around the cities but I don't remember seeing any formal bike hire opportunities, even from the resort hotels. I suspect there's some informal way to do it but most cyclists not in tour groups looked like locals...

Top Bottom