Cycling in the darker months

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andywinds

I've never done this really on the road. I've cycled during the winter on MTB trail etc and the odd mile stretch on quiet roads but not yet on a road bike. I work from home and can start a ride at 5:30pm, I'm not sure if I should try and avoid busy rush hour routes now and aim for quiet B roads? I don't want to stop road cycling in the week but don't want to take unnecessary risks, I should probably man up and just ride!

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
If you are town/city cycling then the amount of lighting (street, headlights, house, shops) will make things clear enough for both you and motor drivers to see clearly.

Make sure you have some decent lights both front and rear. If you go down the retina burning light route then make sure you aim them at the ground in front/rear of you rather then to blind/dazzle others.

OP
OP
Andywinds

Andywinds

Ok thanks, I live in town that has some good lights in the center but no very good in between the villages. My front lights are very good as these are off the MTB, but there rear is just one of those 4 x LED things that either is on or flashes. Maybe I'll do some laps of the town!
If you are town/city cycling then the amount of lighting (street, headlights, house, shops) will make things clear enough for both you and motor drivers to see clearly.

Make sure you have some decent lights both front and rear. If you go down the retina burning light route then make sure you aim them at the ground in front/rear of you rather then to blind/dazzle others.

B-routes are often busy commuter routes and daily commuter know the road so well, they often drive quite quickly.
If you become a regular feature of the road, same time, same place each day, you will probably be safer.
Dark country lanes need powerful lights, and backups.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I've got two on the front, just need to invest in a brighter rear light.

Not so much bright, more so a decent one.

Something like a Cateye will more then suffice in town/city riding
ca475tl61.jpg

I'd second Ianrauk on having the lights pointing down enough. If your roads are any like ours then potholes you'd normally not even think about can become an 'interesting' surprise. Streetlights really do help but the unpredictable shadows mean you need to take a little more care.

OP
OP
Andywinds

Andywinds

Oh yes I hit a few pot holes last week for the first time, never thought about these when on the MTB. I'll point the cateye low down.

I'd second Ianrauk on having the lights pointing down enough. If your roads are any like ours then potholes you'd normally not even think about can become an 'interesting' surprise. Streetlights really do help but the unpredictable shadows mean you need to take a little more care.

Keep in mind that typical yellow/orange cycling hi-vis doesn't actually work in the dark. Under yellow streetlights it can actually make you blend into the background.

Reflective bits, on the other hand, are very useful at making yourself seen under car headlights. You can buy reflective tape prettty cheaply so consider getting some of that and sticking it to bits of your bike/clothing/rucksack/panniers if you don't mind doing that.

Probably safer on the main roads tbh if they are streetlit as opposed to B roads if they are unlit with fast moving traffic (even if it is quiet).

Not so much bright, more so a decent one.

Something like a Cateye will more then suffice in town/city riding
ca475tl61.jpg

But not unlit highway riding? That light looks exactly like the one I have and my route takes me through built up areas aswell as unlit B roads. But regardless of brightness, wont a particular light stand out more if its darker? In terms of astronomy, fainter objects such as distant galaxies are far easier to see in areas of little light pollution compared to brighter areas. Dont know if this logic applies to a cyclist 50 metres up the road. Obviously brighter lights are better tho.

buggi

Bird Saviour
Personally I feel safer on unlit road during winter. When you're the only thing lit up it's easy for the driver to see you and I get LOADS more room than cycling the same roads in daylight. When your in town and its wet is the worse time. Too many lights and too much glare from wet roads and wet windscreens, so I'm much more careful. But yes, just man up and do it coz its still better than sitting in a car in a traffic jam.

OP
OP
Andywinds

Andywinds

I went out today in rush hour traffic and must have gone past about 50 cars. I am not sure if it's me but I could have sworn as a few stopped and started they managed to stop more towards the center than the middle of their lane as I was coming up on the right.

Personally I feel safer on unlit road during winter. When you're the only thing lit up it's easy for the driver to see you and I get LOADS more room than cycling the same roads in daylight. When your in town and its wet is the worse time. Too many lights and too much glare from wet roads and wet windscreens, so I'm much more careful. But yes, just man up and do it coz its still better than sitting in a car in a traffic jam.

Top Bottom