Cycling in The South of France.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bikeman66

Hi all,

If you could get a week's cycling in Provence, in the South of France, staying in a villa with a group of 6-8 people, including return travel and bike transportation from the south coast of England all for about £1,200, would you be interested? Travel would be in April or September, and all meals would be provided. The highlight of the week would be an opportunity to tackle the iconic Tour de France climb of Mont Ventoux.

Sound good to any of you guys?

Moodyman

Legendary Member
if it's heads down - arse up roadie type rides then...no thanks.

If it's conversational speed touring and siteseeing then... I could be persuaded. but 1200 quid seems lots. I did France for about £700 and that included staying at cheap hotels and b&bs, ferry crossings and food - eating in local restaurants mainly.

OP
OP
bikeman66

bikeman66

if it's heads down - arse up roadie type rides then...no thanks.

If it's conversational speed touring and siteseeing then... I could be persuaded. but 1200 quid seems lots. I did France for about £700 and that included staying at cheap hotels and b&bs, ferry crossings and food - eating in local restaurants mainly.
It certainly wouldn't be full-on Moodyman. More likely between 45-60 miles each day, with a day mid-week to do your own thing. Cycle rides would be circular routes, radiating out from the villa near Avignon. Too much fine scenery in that part of the world to spend the whole time grinding away 100% on the bike.

The £1,200 would include 7 nights accommodation at the villa (with swimming pool), return transportation via minibus, for people and bikes from Calais to the village, breakfast, lunch (at a suitable roadside stop) and dinner in the evening. All rides would be guided and have vehicular support in case of mechanicals.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Calais to the south of France in a mini-bus? You would need to pay me good money to do that. That was 2 days each way for me, on a fast motorbike.
The cycling part sounds good, but the rest of it..... and at £1200 for a week? I can think of better VFM..

OP
OP
bikeman66

bikeman66

Calais to the south of France in a mini-bus? You would need to pay me good money to do that. That was 2 days each way for me, on a fast motorbike.
The cycling part sounds good, but the rest of it..... and at £1200 for a week? I can think of better VFM..
Two days each way, on a fast motorcycle?? Did you get lost on the way? We left Avignon at 8.00am and pulled in to the channel tunnel terminal at around 6.45pm on the same day.

OP
OP
bikeman66

bikeman66

Crazy price.
A bit of research suggests that there are a number of companies offering tours at around £1,800 for six nights, and they don't even get you there for that money, instead picking you up from the nearest train station or airport.

It's a project I'm researching, and the very reason I started this thread is to gauge opinion, so it seems to be working in that respect.

screenman

Legendary Member
I would maybe add a you fly we drive option, this would certainly appeal more to me.

One of my son's lives down there so we might pass on the road sometime.

For those who have not been, the cycling is awesome.

Brandane

Legendary Member
A bit of research suggests that there are a number of companies offering tours at around £1,800 for six nights, and they don't even get you there for that money, instead picking you up from the nearest train station or airport.

It's a project I'm researching, and the very reason I started this thread is to gauge opinion, so it seems to be working in that respect.
There must be a lot of gullible rich people around! £300 per day to go cycling? Each to their own and all that, but clearly some people have more money than sense.
When I went on my motorbike, I went to Cannes, which is 150 miles further south from Avignon, giving a total of 760 miles from Calais. Even in France, I wouldn't like to do that mileage in a day.
Having said that, I broke the 700 miles in a day mark on the return journey, Cambrai to Glasgow (plus another 30 miles from Glasgow). Not something I would repeat.

OP
OP
bikeman66

bikeman66

There must be a lot of gullible rich people around! £300 per day to go cycling? Each to their own and all that, but clearly some people have more money than sense.
When I went on my motorbike, I went to Cannes, which is 150 miles further south from Avignon, giving a total of 760 miles from Calais. Even in France, I wouldn't like to do that mileage in a day.
Having said that, I broke the 700 miles in a day mark on the return journey, Cambrai to Glasgow (plus another 30 miles from Glasgow). Not something I would repeat.
Fair enough Brandane. I don't think I would be up for riding a motorcycle 700 miles in a single day either, but if I was being driven as a passenger it would be more do-able. I'd also agree that £300 per day to go cycling is a bit steep, especially if you had to make your own way there too. Having said that, I guess there are thousands of people each year who pay ridiculous amounts of money just to lay on a sun lounger all day! Takes all sorts I suppose!

OP
OP
bikeman66

bikeman66

I would maybe add a you fly we drive option, this would certainly appeal more to me.

One of my son's lives down there so we might pass on the road sometime.

For those who have not been, the cycling is awesome.
It is fantastic for cycling isn't it Screenman. I guess you must visit fairly often if your son is down that way. Lucky you is all I can say! What part does he live in? We stayed in Boulbon, about 20 minutes south-west of Avignon. Absolutely loved it.

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
Driving-wise it's about nine hours driving time from Calais to Avignon. I've done Exeter to Die (about the same distance as Avignon from Dover, but a bit further North East) a few times, and though it's a long day (19 hours on the road including ferry and stops) it's do-able, if not the best way to spend 19 hours. The area's fairly poorly served for good airports (Lyon should be much better than it is), so for me plane to Paris CdG and then TGV down cuts the actual moving time to about 5 hours, and can be done for about £150 if you buy far enough ahead. If I can take a carload down to my house, it costs about £250 each including fuel (though not wear and tear), ferry, insurance and food for a week.

And yes, the cycling is fantastic.

Top Bottom