"Cycling Incident"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
glenn forger

glenn forger

Mr Purchase said: "Hopefully cyclists can also learn something from this video too.

"It was my fault that I hit her but she was dressed in all grey on what was a rather grey day.

"It may not have made a difference in this case, but I would urge cyclists to wear bright clothes, or high visibility items."

http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/1118..._girl_cyclist_backs_shocking_campaign/?ref=mr

I suppose if the poor girl was in hi vis we would have had a better view of the car hitting her.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
"I am no hooligan, and I admitted my guilt at court. I have since learned my lesson and changed the way I drive."The video was released as part of a campaign by Sussex Police urging drivers and cyclists to look out for one another in a bid to reduce the annual bike death toll.

Mr Purchase said: "Hopefully cyclists can also learn something from this video too.

"It was my fault that I hit her but she was dressed in all grey on what was a rather grey day."

He does seem remorseful about the incident though and maybe he has a point about the high viz? Not necessarily wearing day glow yellow or orange but wearing grey clothing on grey days doesn't help!

KneesUp

Guru
Doesn't it? Is there any evidence that it has any effect at all on collision rates?
I don't know of any research, but there the story of the grey Manchester United away kit they used for only one half because even when skilled footballers were looking for their colleagues they knew were known grey to pass to, they found them harder to locate.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
I don't know of any research, but there the story of the grey Manchester United away kit they used for only one half because even when skilled footballers were looking for their colleagues they knew were known grey to pass to, they found them harder to locate.

Oh right, well I'm sure that "research" will translate perfectly into road safety situations.

KneesUp

Guru
Oh right, well I'm sure that "research" will translate perfectly into road safety situations.
I didn't claim it was research.

I do think though that if athletes who require the ability to spot team mates at distance in order to pass successfully to them find that their accuracy in doing so is adversely affected by their team mates wearing grey against a predominantly green backgound, it is perhaps not an unreasonable starting point to assume that wearing grey against a predominantly grey background is going to make it harder for someone to see you and/or judge how far away you are.

What makes you think this starting point is invalid?

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Comes down to whether people driving motor vehicles or riding biles should be sufficiently aware of their surroundings all of the time or whether excuses will continue to be made for them when their inadequate driving/ riding causes them to hit something.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless

I do think though that if athletes who require the ability to spot team mates at distance in order to pass successfully to them find that their accuracy in doing so is adversely affected by their team mates wearing grey against a predominantly green backgound, it is perhaps not an unreasonable starting point to assume that wearing grey against a predominantly grey background is going to make it harder for someone to see you and/or judge how far away you are.

Did any of these footballers run straight into any of their team mates?

GC

benb

Evidence based cyclist

Well I prefer actually relevant research. http://road.cc/content/news/99660-h...make-cars-pass-you-more-safely-says-new-study

If a driver is looking properly, they will see you whether you are wearing high-vis or not.
If they are not looking properly, they won't see you whether you are wearing high-vis or not.

The cyclist was there to be seen, and if they are clearly visible on a grainy CCTV image, they must have been even more visible in person.
This driver wasn't looking where they were going, so I don't see how wearing bright colours would have made any difference.

I'm fed up of people making excuses for poor observation.

KneesUp

Guru
Well I prefer actually relevant research. http://road.cc/content/news/99660-h...make-cars-pass-you-more-safely-says-new-study

If a driver is looking properly, they will see you whether you are wearing high-vis or not.
If they are not looking properly, they won't see you whether you are wearing high-vis or not.

The cyclist was there to be seen, and if they are clearly visible on a grainy CCTV image, they must have been even more visible in person.
This driver wasn't looking where they were going, so I don't see how wearing bright colours would have made any difference.

I'm fed up of people making excuses for poor observation.

I take it that in this "relevant research" they tested against wearing all grey and just forgot to include the data?

Oh no - they said this.

• "The researchers point out that while they found that wearing high-visibility clothing made no difference to the space left by overtaking drivers, they did not try to find out if it made cyclists more visible at junctions or at night."
Making it quite clear that they weren't testing to see how visible it made cyclists, which is what we are discussing. So even if they had tested grey clothing (which they didn't) they still weren't testing to see how visible it made cyclists, but rather how much room motorists left them.

Apart from that, it's all good, relevant research ... :smile:

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Drivers don't look, their minds wander, they look left & right at junctions but not straight on. I had a horrible close pass last night where the apologetic driver claimed not have seen me despite my bright hi-vis jacket. He didn't move out around me at all, just ploughed on nearly clipped my elbow. I don't think hi-vis would have made any difference to the driver in the video, he just didn't look ahead before surging out.

Top Bottom