cycling Injury Survey

In the last 12 months have you been injured cycling due to falling or being knocked off

• Yes

Votes: 31 28.4%
  • No

Votes: 78 71.6%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I could do with a "not that I remember" option! :laugh: I was hit by a car a few months ago but I think I was unscathed (I'll search for my comment on here in a mo)... but it's hard to remember minor injuries at the moment because I'm limping around with a broken toe strapped up after running into a flight of stairs! But I can still ride my bike! (Easier than walking...)

MikeG

Guru
I was pretty unlucky, getting hit by a branch which broke off from a tree just as I rode along underneath, on a little quiet country lane. Put me in the ditch, but the bike was fine.

Knocked off from behind in a hit and run 18 months ago.
Loads of witnesses, in an area bristling in cctv, but nothing captured.
Snapped ACL, serious damage to all other knee ligaments, broken bone in same knee, permanent limp.
No operation as muscle strength gained through cycling gives stability.
Nerve pretty much shot, but I'll get it back.

[QUOTE 4912353, member: 9609"]what I'm curious about is how relevant the stats are around cycling safety. we're told there are 3.6 million people cycling in the UK at least once per month, and we're also told there are 18,800 injuries per anum relating to cycling. This would suggest 1 in 190 cyclists suffer an injury once per year. I'm struggling to believe this figure[/QUOTE]
So, thinking aloud.

Let's say that the average amount of rides for those 3.6M riders is twice a month. So they make a total of 86M trips per year. So the chances of a recordable injury - one that the police or NHS see - on a single ride is 0.022%. So if you ride every day, your chances of injury in a year would be 7%.

Last edited:
Reactions: srw

sleuthey

Legendary Member
SMIDSY with a lady in a Mondeo (with no MOT) Jul 16. Sustained minor-medium injuries but now count myself lucky after reading Alan Frames post above! I am not the first person to say the driver was more shaken up then me. BTW I am told by a Maths Teacher that 95% of statistics are made up - hang on if thats true then that means what I have just typed is made up :laugh:

Drago

Legendary Member
Shame she wasn't shaken up enough to purchase insurance.

D

Deleted member 1258

I've kept it rubber side down for about twelve months. But about thirteen months ago I had a low speed fall, trickling at walking pace got my toe tangled up in the front mudguard and went down bruising and grazing my knee. I've had a couple of bad years, I had a minor low speed fall in 2015 and picked up some minor bruising. I have to go back to 2007 for the one before that, 32000 miles or more.

Last edited by a moderator:

fatjel

Veteran
Surprisingly I don't think I've fallen off in the last 12 months.
Two people have fallen off my new recumbent in the last month tho

huggy

4100km in the last 18 months not had an accident. The wife on the other hand probably has done 20km and fallen of twice

Top Bottom