Cycling Insurance - Recommend a provider

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

suzeworld

Veteran
Hard to understand your problem. My policy covers my bikes worldwide, all risks, new for old at a cost of £283 per annum...............

oh, I forgot it includes my house, garage, sheds, all contents and personal liability.......

Really? Which company is that?

Sorry about the resurection of the thread but I have just been looking at my YellowJersey insurance bookley and I noticed something

It seems like the security requiremnts - which have always been far far more than the house insurance - have increased over the last few years

For example - they not specify the type of padlock that you use if the bike is stored in a shed - kinda pointless as a few months ago one of mine jammed solid and I got it off in a few minutes witha hacksaw on the hasp - left the padlock alone!

also - althout it still insist on a "Sold Secure Gold" lock on the bike - there is now a section with diagrams showing Good and Bad way of locking it outside
It SAYS that you have to use a "Sold Secure Gold" lock through the frame on onto the solid structure - such as a cycle parking thingy
BUT the diagram shows one with the front wheel removed and the lock throught the frame and both wheels
PLUS another similar lock at the front of the bike
implying that you need to lock it up like this

Knowing how insurance companies work I would be worried about this being used to reject a claim if the bike was stolen

Renewal should be coming ina few weeks - I will check out other ideas then
in the meantime - anyone had this sort of problem when putting in a claim??
or seen similar things from other companies?

Thanks

Alex321

Veteran
Hard to understand your problem. My policy covers my bikes worldwide, all risks, new for old at a cost of £283 per annum...............

oh, I forgot it includes my house, garage, sheds, all contents and personal liability.......

Really? Which company is that?

Well mine gives very similar cover for a similar cost, with Aviva (The bike cover added I think from memory £23 to the premium, covering all bikes with an individual value up to £2500).

Just checked - my total premium for this year was £223.08, of which £22.98 was for the pedal cycle cover.
Payment details Total premium £223.08 per year
This includes:
Buildings cover £97.45
Accidental Damage Buildings Included
Contents cover £63.95
Accidental Damage Contents Included
Specified Personal belongings £11.20
Personal belongings £15.00
Pedal cycles £22.98
Legal services £12.50
Buildings Matching Items Included
Contents Matching Items Included

Last edited:

Alex321

Veteran
Sorry about the resurection of the thread but I have just been looking at my YellowJersey insurance bookley and I noticed something

It seems like the security requiremnts - which have always been far far more than the house insurance - have increased over the last few years

For example - they not specify the type of padlock that you use if the bike is stored in a shed - kinda pointless as a few months ago one of mine jammed solid and I got it off in a few minutes witha hacksaw on the hasp - left the padlock alone!

also - althout it still insist on a "Sold Secure Gold" lock on the bike - there is now a section with diagrams showing Good and Bad way of locking it outside
It SAYS that you have to use a "Sold Secure Gold" lock through the frame on onto the solid structure - such as a cycle parking thingy
BUT the diagram shows one with the front wheel removed and the lock throught the frame and both wheels
PLUS another similar lock at the front of the bike
implying that you need to lock it up like this

Knowing how insurance companies work I would be worried about this being used to reject a claim if the bike was stolen

Renewal should be coming ina few weeks - I will check out other ideas then
in the meantime - anyone had this sort of problem when putting in a claim??
or seen similar things from other companies?

Thanks

What is says is what really counts. That is sufficient to prevent (or at least deter) theft of the whole bike. Removal of wheels to lock them as well just prevent theft of the wheels only. IMO it is only worth removing the front wheel if you have QR or the lever operated thru-axles.

My policy just says that the bike must be locked securely to a solid object - this is the wording:

If your schedule shows you have cover for pedal cycles they won’t be covered for theft unless: - in your immediate custody and control; or - securely locked to an object that can’t be moved; or - locked inside a concealed boot or concealed luggage compartment of a locked vehicle which has been broken into by using force and violence; or - in a locked building.

Alex321

Veteran
Cycling insurance is far more important than insuring your bikes .

Assuming by that you mean 3rd party liability insurance, agreed.

That is covered automatically with my Aviva policy, even if you don't have the bike(s) insured on it. And it paid out for the damage to the car I hit last year.

vickster

Legendary Member
I’ve just ditched Aviva Plus for buildings and contents, premium has gone up 20% for no reason (£322 to £399). Compare the Market brought me to MBNA (Lloyds bank) who allow up to 10k of named bikes (don’t need to name if under £350), £261. Legal cover but no 3rd party indemnity so I’ll probably go back to British Cycling Ride for £44 or LAKA at £1.50 a month

Last edited:
Top Bottom