Cycling Insurance

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dhd.evans

Veteran
I'm looking to insure my Triban 3a, but not a clue even where to start. Do any of our members have insurance and who with? What kind of cover do you get and what are your costs, excesses etc.?

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Is this for the bike or for you?

If it's for the bike, try your own household insurer. Mine charges and additional £15 to cover 4 bikes, with a £200 limit.

If it's for you, then British Cycling or CTC - there's been a thread on this by Simon the Viking recently which covers much more than I can.

OP
OP
dhd.evans

dhd.evans

Veteran
We don't have home insurance at the moment (rented accomodation means we're not liable to a lot of things) but may be something worth looking into. It's for both me and the bike as i've had two nasty spills in the last two years (wiped out by a car (not my fault) and wiped out on a cycle path sign (stupidly my fault)) which have required bike replacement and, in the first instance, time off work.

First one was open and shut case replaced by car-owner (too bloody right, the impact burst open my AC joint too) and damages claimed, but the second incident (not two weeks ago) was my own bloody fault. I'm not injured, but the bike was wiped out. All in all a good excuse to buy myself a new steed but would really rather have not had to drop 300 quid on a new bike.

I suppose the next issue would be who's decent for home insurance...

vickster

Legendary Member
You are presumably liable for any personal possessions? Even if not building, fixtures and fittings. All my insurance is under £300 including bikes away from home. Bikes only for cycle guard or similar was £400 odd!!!

vickster

Legendary Member
Join British cycling or ctc for 3rd party cover, £30 odd a year

I found my stonking deal with aa through confused.com

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
There's a sticky in "General Cycling Discussions". Read it. It won't tell you who to buy from, but will set out the different things to think about.

lpretro1

The 3rd party cover from BC or CTC is not for personal injury or bike cover. It is there in case you cause damage or injury to a 3rd party - animate or inanimate.

vickster

Legendary Member
But Ride cover does provide legal assistance

Top Bottom