Cycling - insurance

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
T

Two-Wheels

Not necessarily drifting off topic but to take it on a slight tangent....

What do you guys do in that case then (personal injury & anything beyond the basics of what these policies discussed (BC/CUK) cover - for those of you that have done something rather than having zero policy)?

I'd like to think that I wouldn't be the cause of someone else's damage but then I'd like to have thought I'd have never ended up injured while out on the bike & that hasn't gone too well for me.

iluvmybike

Über Member
I have heard of cases whereby a rider in a sportive ride was knocked off by another participant and sued them. People are very litigous these days and if a case goes against you it can be mightily expensive. It may be a case that your bike falls over and scratches somebody's car by accident. Outfits such as Velosure, for example, will cover just about everyhting:
https://www.velosure.co.uk/bike-insurance-cover-features/

It isn't cheap but imagine having costs awarded against you of £20k or more. It shouldn't be like that but sadly it is the way society is - everything is somebody else's fault😠

vickster

Legendary Member
Although it should also be pointed out that the BC cover doesn't give you any coverage for personal accident. If it's someone else's fault, their legal team is meant to be very good. But if it's your fault, you are only covered for 3rd party liabilities, no cover for your own injuries or equipment (unless you go for Race Gold, which isn't what you need).
I know. I don’t race.
My private healthcare and the NHS cover me for injury

Last edited:

Profpointy

Legendary Member
You need the £44 ride cover as a leisure cyclist rather than a commuter/utility cyclist as the £40 doesn;t cover liability or legal for leisure rides, only utility and commuting

That sounds a hell of a lot to me given my 180hp 1700kg Saab is £250. And the Saab insurance is fully comp so covers my own fault damage to car plus theft.

Is the bike insurance 3rd party or is theft included ? If the latter then maybe fair enough as theft is a high risk for a bike, and the bike's
probably worth more than my Saab.

vickster

Legendary Member
That sounds a hell of a lot to me given my 180hp 1700kg Saab is £250. And the Saab insurance is fully comp so covers my own fault damage to car plus theft.

Is the bike insurance 3rd party or is theft included ? If the latter then maybe fair enough as theft is a high risk for a bike, and the bike's
It’s to insure you against a third party claim or to provide indemnified legal cover if you claim against someone else. This is nothing to do with bike theft (did you read the OP)?
Bikes are covered on my home insurance.
Less than a quid a week is nothing to me for peace of mind. Ymmv and it’s not obligatory :rolleyes:

Presumably the car is old, as are you? What’s the excess too

Profpointy

Legendary Member
It’s to insure you against a third party claim or to provide indemnified legal cover if you claim against someone else.
Bikes are covered on my home insurance.
Less than a quid a week is nothing to me for peace of mind. Ymmv and it’s not obligatory :rolleyes:

Presumably the car is old, as are you? What’s the excess too

Car isn't as old as I am admittedly :-) but is indeed quite old as cars go. Excess is maybe £500 and the car's worth more than that, on a good day anyway. But the point remains that the risk damage to people or property I might do with the car must be 100x the risk on the bike.

Edit:
I guess it's a fiver's worth of insurance and £35 of admin for the bike deal

vickster

Legendary Member
Car isn't as old as I am admittedly :-) but is indeed quite old as cars go. Excess is maybe £500 and the car's worth more than that, on a good day anyway. But the point remains that the risk damage to people or property I might do with the car must be 100x the risk on the bike.

Edit:
I guess it's a fiver's worth of insurance and £35 of admin for the bike deal
It covers legal support should a driver knock you off however, which one did to me

In relative terms bike insurance is more expensive than car insurance.

Not necessarily drifting off topic but to take it on a slight tangent....

What do you guys do in that case then (personal injury & anything beyond the basics of what these policies discussed (BC/CUK) cover - for those of you that have done something rather than having zero policy)?

I'd like to think that I wouldn't be the cause of someone else's damage but then I'd like to have thought I'd have never ended up injured while out on the bike & that hasn't gone too well for me.
Well pedalsure will pay out if you cover yourself (serious injury + death)

To cover bike for damage in use was very expensive like £200

Then theft

It isn't cheap to cover every angle. Then theres the fine print. So insurance companies require a particular standard of lock and of course if you forget to lock your garage you ain't covered.

A bit of minefield. Sure the BC cover sounds good - but they don't take all cases (legal cover) and of course you could just approach a no win no fee solicitor if the worst happens.

alex_cycles

Veteran
A bit of minefield. Sure the BC cover sounds good - but they don't take all cases (legal cover) and of course you could just approach a no win no fee solicitor if the worst happens.

There is another issue with BC insurance in that it doesn't cover member to member claims. I queried this with them a couple of years ago and they said they were going to change it, but I don't think they have yet.

So if the person who takes you down on a group ride is also a BC member, they won't help you sue for damages.

It's one of the reasons I have a totally separate policy covering all of our bikes and the whole family. It's expensive, but that's my choice. It also covers accidental damage.

OP
OP
T

Two-Wheels

Are you sure your house insurance does not give you legal cover if you need to sue someone?
For me? Possible add on I guess but was in touch with them today & after working through 4 people, the final 2 who both worked for the claims department, so why the first one of them couldn't answer the question is beyond me, they confirmed that my policy doesn't have it.

Alex321

Veteran
There are 3 things that insurance needs to cover and if taking out insurance then check they do cover all :
3rd party public liability - this is in case you cause damage or worse to a 3rd party or their property
The bike - theft, damage by 3rd party or crash
Yourself - personal accident resulting in injury or worse

Yep - lots of people think personal accident comes as standard. I don't think BC ride for example covers it.
There are very few insurance policies which include personal injury for the insured person.

Top Bottom