Cycling - insurance

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
There are very few insurance policies which include personal injury for the insured person.
Really ?

Pedalsure for one (although it is a defined payout benefit)

Direct line cycle insurance offers it as an option.

I think it starts as what you most want on your policy. If you want a personal injury policy you can find one pretty easily - but then you can't always add theft.

If you start out with a anti theft policy - you can't always add personal injury .

Etc.

D

Deleted member 26715

That sounds a hell of a lot to me given my 180hp 1700kg Saab is £250. And the Saab insurance is fully comp so covers my own fault damage to car plus theft.

Is the bike insurance 3rd party or is theft included ? If the latter then maybe fair enough as theft is a high risk for a bike, and the bike's
probably worth more than my Saab.
I think you have to look at economies of scale, car insurance is legalised theft as by law to drive a car on the road it has to be insured, 31.5 million insured cars in 2018 https://www.statista.com/topics/4560/car-insurance-in-the-uk/ against about 250,000 cyclists https://insurtechdigital.com/insurtech/cycleguard-only-18-uk-cyclists-have-insurance

I'm surprised some MP's mate hasn't worked this out yet & decided it's a market to tap into by changing the law.

alex_cycles

Veteran
I'm surprised some MP's mate hasn't worked this out yet & decided it's a market to tap into by changing the law.

It's not as easy as that or they would have done it. If they made bike insurance compulsory, how would kids ever learn to ride a bike?

I have 3rd party insurance as I realised I could be bankrupted if I made a mistake and someone got hurt. But I think it should be people's right to decide for themselves. Thankfully, most agree. ^_^

Profpointy

Legendary Member
It's not as easy as that or they would have done it. If they made bike insurance compulsory, how would kids ever learn to ride a bike?

I have 3rd party insurance as I realised I could be bankrupted if I made a mistake and someone got hurt. But I think it should be people's right to decide for themselves. Thankfully, most agree. ^_^

It would be a popular measure amongst Daily Mail reading gammons who already lap up calls to murder cyclists. Stopping kids learning to ride would be a long term way of getting pesky cyclists of the road. We are an "out" group and hating out groups is a tried and tested formula.

For once we should be grateful for Boris as he (a) rides a bike himself, and (b) is generally against banning things

'kinell, did I really have something good to sat about Boris?

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I think you have to look at economies of scale, car insurance is legalised theft as by law to drive a car on the road it has to be insured, 31.5 million insured cars in 2018 https://www.statista.com/topics/4560/car-insurance-in-the-uk/ against about 250,000 cyclists https://insurtechdigital.com/insurtech/cycleguard-only-18-uk-cyclists-have-insurance

Are you seriously putting this forward as a proposition?

D

Deleted member 26715

Are you seriously putting this forward as a proposition?
It's a fact not a proposition the whole industry is a self serving cesspit of corruption, over inflated priced repairs, car hire scam, blame & claim game, price hiking renewal notices which had to be legislated against.

Edit:- In my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
It's a fact not a proposition the whole industry is a self serving cesspit of corruption, over inflated priced repairs, car hire scam, blame & claim game, price hiking renewal notices which had to be legislated against.

Edit:- In my opinion.
OK. I don't agree but we had best not divert the thread. No, I don't work in motor insurance. 😀

Alex321

Veteran
Can't find it but I think there was a thread on here a while back where someone had found TP only insurance for £15 pa which looked okay.
Third Party insurance is included as standard on many household contents policies.

The wording on mine says (under legal liability cover):
Personal Liability: Your liability in a personal capacity (not as owner or occupier of any building, land or fixed property). This includes accidents from your leisure activities such as golf or cycling

And that is standard, you don't need to have taken out extra cover for your bike(s) to get that.

Alex321

Veteran
Incident ally, I have just checked - I chose to include "legal services" in my policy (at an additional cost of £25/year)y, and that would have covered me for legal costs in pursuing an incident such as the OP experienced. In fact it is specifically listed in the examples of incidents covered.
1649774934923.png

vickster

Legendary Member
Incident ally, I have just checked - I chose to include "legal services" in my policy (at an additional cost of £25/year)y, and that would have covered me for legal costs in pursuing an incident such as the OP experienced. In fact it is specifically listed in the examples of incidents covered.
View attachment 639623
Same as mine, Aviva

Top Bottom