Cycling - insurance

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Thanks.

I phoned them and they said that it excluded cover for injury to other cyclists who you are specifically riding with.

That's ok with me - I'm a solo rider.

My main concern was for accidents that were my fault involving pedestrians & motor vehicles which the policy covers.

If I've missed anything please let me know - I don't need the insurance until June.
Just make sure you get it in writing.

They tried to tell me at first "that only means racing" it was only when pointed out that it was a completely separate clause to racing that I got passed to someone else who said as the policy wording stood it would mean I wasn't covered if cycling with anyone else.

It's up to you of course - but I would think direct line are quite new to cycling insurance and I would avoid until they are clear what's covered and what isn't.

OP
OP
T

Two-Wheels

^^ Exactly.

I've actually earned quite a bit of money over the years through apology payouts for being on the phone or live chat to someone where they either told me something that was incorrect or they didn't tell me something that they really should've known.

Nothing to do with cycling insurance this one, so a tad off topic - but I must've had in total 4 figure payment from Santander alone. No joke. Just purely apology money.

Solocle

Über Member
^^ Exactly.

I've actually earned quite a bit of money over the years through apology payouts for being on the phone or live chat to someone where they either told me something that was incorrect or they didn't tell me something that they really should've known.

Nothing to do with cycling insurance this one, so a tad off topic - but I must've had in total 4 figure payment from Santander alone. No joke. Just purely apology money.
I once got an apology payout from Natwest as a kid, but I think it was just a piggy bank... plastic, nothing fancy.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I would recommend BC or CUK also for personal liability.

I got nudged by a hit and run that pushed me into another rider on the commute to work. No driver details. 12 months later, I get a claim against me from the other rider. I'd been dealing with BC since the accident and police trying to trace the driver. Unfortunately the other person did claim against me but I was covered.

OP
OP
T

Two-Wheels

As we've touched on can dos and can't dos -

What's the law on reflectors?

For the record, I don't ride in bad weather or at night so that instantly rules them out.

I'm not talking about wheel reflectors, although I guess you can throw that in to the question if you wish. I'm talking about the front and rear ones.
I've already removed my rear one as it's basically been replaced with my Garmin Varia RTL515 which is infinitely better anyway.

I left the front on but after my accident I got a different, cheaper mount for the Wahoo. If it's out towards the brake lever direction then it's at a crap angle. If i pull it in towards the centre so it sits level then it interferes with the reflector.

Now as I've met many a cyclist in the dark with no hi viz clothing, no reflective clothing, no helmet & no lights - if these guys had the front reflector then I have to say they're crap as I've barely noticed them.
But whether I think they must be crap or not is irrelevant. What's the law?
I'm careful to avoid a situation in future where someone can get away with an incident because I didn't have a reflector - never mind that visibility was good and i was wearing bright colours.

OP
OP
T

Two-Wheels

Thanks for the link.

What is OT?

Reading through it it's an interesting one about pedals. I personally have what I'll call 'flat' pedals (don't know what they're referred to as but basically I don't wear 'cycling shoes'). I wonder how those who switch out for pedals requiring specific cycle-shoes also maintain medal reflectors & whether that's ever had a negative impact on anyone needing to claim.

D

Deleted member 26715

What is OT?
LOL, well I should have type "I think you are OT" not that "you are not OT", either way OT is Off Topic, which is a grey area as to how far you can stray, but is covered under Things Not to Do in https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/forum-rules.213557/

Alex321

Veteran
Thanks for the link.

What is OT?

Reading through it it's an interesting one about pedals. I personally have what I'll call 'flat' pedals (don't know what they're referred to as but basically I don't wear 'cycling shoes'). I wonder how those who switch out for pedals requiring specific cycle-shoes also maintain medal reflectors & whether that's ever had a negative impact on anyone needing to claim.
I haven't seen any clipless pedals with reflectors (there may be some, I just haven't seen any).

While that makes them technically illegal to ride with after dark, I've never heard of anybody being done for that unless they also had no lights, and I doubt it would make any difference to any insurance claim.

vickster

Legendary Member
I think Sports FS are the best for cycling coverage. I switched to them from Aviva and won't look back.

What’s so good about them compared to Aviva?
What was wrong with Aviva? Which specific Aviva cover did you switch from?
How do costs and cover compare (I’m with Aviva plus which covers all my bikes, home buildings and contents, pretty much unlimited including indemnity and legal)

Last edited:
Top Bottom