1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cycling into work........your best and true excuse for being late.

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by betty swollocks, 16 Jun 2008.

1. betty swollocks

betty swollocks large member

Mine happened a few days ago:- took a scenic ride in through the countryside and along a narrow lane was halted by farmworkers trying to usher an escaped (and very angry) pig into a trailer. They had boards and were working as a team.
    They advised me to stay well back, (I had already worked that bit out for myself) and possibly go another way, but no way was I going to miss this, so I parked up the bike and clambered up a tree to watch the proceedings and make my phone call.
    The pig was hammed in by tall hedges and it kept on trying to ram the boards, accompanied by loud squeals, and snorts and shouts, which because it was so huge would surely have been like being hit by an express train - so the men had to scatter and then re-group. Eventually the poor creature made a gap in a hedge and hurtled off into an adjacent field. They ran after it.
    Pity I didn't have a camera.

2. Disgruntled Goat

Disgruntled Goat New Member

A discarded lolly stick jumped up into my jockey wheels, jamming the mech and I tore off my rear derailleur.

3. walker

walker New Member

I always either blame traffic or a punture

4. Hilldodger

Hilldodger Über Member

The pig was hammed in :biggrin:

5. yorkshiregoth

yorkshiregoth Master of all he surveys

Helping a very pretty and stranded Polish lady who had a puncture but no tools. I gave her my spare tube and changed it for her. My colleagues didn't accept my excuse until the young lady in question returned to my station the next day to replace the innertube.

6. yello

yello Guru

Ah, being late for work, a subject close to my heart! I never used to give excuses, because I rarely had a decent one, I just used to roll in whenever. My bosses got used to it and accepted it because they realised, in fairness, that I wasn't a stickler for leaving on time either. I do recall one boss once mentioning my arrival times to me in a review but quickly following it up with "but that doesn't matter"... made me wonder why he mentioned it then... I suspect it pissed him off personally.

Best reason for being late??? Um, dunno, forgetting it was a work day takes some beating! Seriously, I thought it was a public holiday!!

7. alecstilleyedye

alecstilleyedye nothing in moderation Staff Member

last visit from the p fairy saw me snap three (rubbish) tyre levers, and i ended up calling work and someone came out to pick bike and i up :biggrin:

it was all of half a mile, but it would have involved walking in cleats on a very busy road with blind bends and no pavement.

8. Crock of Gold

Crock of Gold Guest

Since last Summer I have only been late once due to the bike.

More reliable then public transport.

9. TWBNK

TWBNK Well-Known Member

I was late for work on Saturday night because I took the car, got into work and realised my locker key was in my pannier bag. Because I usually ride I have a complete uniform in my locker!

10. domtyler

domtyler Über Member

Very rarely late due to cycling, the most reliable form of transport there is.

11. ColinJ

ColinJ Slow Hill Climber/Station lift avoider!

A few years back I was supposed to finish work at 17:30 but there was an urgent deadline to meet so I worked through to 01:00 the next day. I finally got home to bed at 02:30. Understandably, I didn't make it in to work for 09:00... I dragged myself in there at about 11:00 and was told off after someone in the production area complained that "Those bloody office workers come in whenever they feel like it!" I asked the boss when they last did 7.5 hours unpaid overtime :angry:!

12. Mr Pig

Mr Pig New Member

I was it Poland the other week and was surprised by how pretty many of the girls are. I thought they'd be bears!

Never been late for work when cycling.

13. Dayvo

Dayvo Just passin' through

Only late for work once (of late! ;)); a 25-minute commute took two hours when I got lost in a foggy forest. :sad:

14. mr_cellophane

mr_cellophane Veteran

Naughty - EU Working Hours Directive - 11 hours break required. You weren't late, you were an hour early. ;)

15. John the Monkey

John the Monkey Frivolous Cyclist

Been late coming home, because of an escaped dog that I tried to help the owner round up.