Cycling is a testosterone fueled pastime

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Linford

It would be a fairly easy thing to claim after reading a bit of the 'your ride today' thread...or is that too simplistic a statement to make ?

Not pointing the finger at anyone in particular, and I'm just as guilty of blowing my own whistle when I manage to beat my PB or climb a particularly big hill in one hit, but the thread does seem like a lot of one upmanship and bragging rights for doing X number of miles. The pics reminded me of pics of the the lion hunters holding up their trophies up for posterity.
If a lot of women were put off riding a roadie after forming a similar opinion then I'd not be surprised (which would be a shame as they are the best bikes to ride IMO)

I don't know about that but it's an endorphin fuelled one sometimes and all legal.

OP
OP
Linford

Linford

I don't know about that but it's an endorphin fuelled one sometimes and all legal.

Would certainly agree with the endorphin rush bit. The only way one might match that on a PTW is by doing something extremely naughty.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
If people are not to post "stats" about their ride or pictures taken on the way, then what else are they to post in a thread about "your ride today"?

I do not agree with your assessment of the thread, or see the connection you have somehow lept to, re women taking up cycling.

OP
OP
Linford

Linford

If people are not to post "stats" about their ride or pictures taken on the way, then what else are they to post in a thread about "your ride today"?

I do not agree with your assessment of the thread, or see the connection you have somehow lept to, re women taking up cycling.

I've posted stats about my own rides, I've taken pictures on the way also, I'm really not trying to claim any moral high ground, Just observing that one might view road cycling as very much a male dominated pursuit if they read the thread from end to end (which would be a challenge in itself)

If you see a woman riding a roadie on a sunday morning, it is the exception rather than the rule. I've seen a few out on the roads...some take it very seriously, but they are very much in the minority.

Just saying :whistle:

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I don't see what the OP sees?

Most of the posts are about some bods ride somewhere, I see very few " I rode x miles in y minutes".

And lots of pictures of food.

I make posts to that effect (of sorts) and I make no apologies, that is what interests me when I ride :smile: Even so I don't see how this would effect the image of cycling to women. Women take up sports for the same varied reasons as men.

400bhp

Guru
I make posts to that effect (of sorts) and I make no apologies, that is what interests me when I ride :smile: Even so I don't see how this would effect the image of cycling to women. Women take up sports for the same varied reasons as men.

Actually they probably don't. A set of bollox often gets in the way with us.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I've posted stats about my own rides, I've taken pictures on the way also, I'm really not trying to claim any moral high ground, Just observing that one might view road cycling as very much a male dominated pursuit if they read the thread from end to end (which would be a challenge in itself)

If you see a woman riding a roadie on a sunday morning, it is the exception rather than the rule. I've seen a few out on the roads...some take it very seriously, but they are very much in the minority.

Women are the minority, yes. However, the women in that minority take up cycling for the same varied reasons as men (some to get fit, some for leisure, some for competition etc), so I don't see how the content of that thread is going to have any unique impact whatsoever on women's perception of cycling.

400bhp

Guru

But it is? Assuming you mean "dominated" as numbers on the road.

I'm really struggling to see the purpose of this thread. Is it "men ride on the road more than women do"? No - shat shylock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom