Cycling is a testosterone fueled pastime

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
It would be a fairly easy thing to claim after reading a bit of the 'your ride today' thread...or is that too simplistic a statement to make ?

Not pointing the finger at anyone in particular, and I'm just as guilty of blowing my own whistle when I manage to beat my PB or climb a particularly big hill in one hit, but the thread does seem like a lot of one upmanship and bragging rights for doing X number of miles. The pics reminded me of pics of the the lion hunters holding up their trophies up for posterity.
If a lot of women were put off riding a roadie after forming a similar opinion then I'd not be surprised (which would be a shame as they are the best bikes to ride IMO)

If it's like that for the blokes, what are 'ladies only' rides fuelled by?

OP
OP
Linford

Linford

There'd still not be much in it, TBH. He is f***ing fast.
He was with tdr1nka and a few others at the time and we were parked up near Horseguards iirc. There is always someone quicker out there, and we didn't meet up to test each others ego. It was in support of a campaign to try and reduce lorry born diesel spills.

Puddles

Do I need to get the spray plaster out?
Ah, yes! Relieving oneself outside is somewhat more awkward for ladies!

Nah it is not when you have had 2 small people and the world and it's wife has had a look up there,letting some stranger see your wibbly white bottom while you wee is nothing, I find if you smile and wave at any stumbler onners if they look at you they are more embarassed than you are and tend to bugger orf! For others of a more delicate modest sensibility there is always the she wee :smile:

Last edited:

Sandra6

Veteran
I read Your Ride Today quite often, I even contribute occasionally. I have been known to enthuse about my accomplishments on reaching stunning speeds of 15mph or the fact that I didn't get off and push until half way up the hill. I apologise for the bragging, I didn't realise it was off putting for other riders.
I have also now come to realise the sole reason I don't ride -or want to ride in future - a "roadie" is because of this thread. Nothing at all to do with the fact that I don't find them comfortable or the lack of desire to do great speeds or cover vast distances on a razor like saddle, it is of course because I have been put off by all the men.
I'm off to take my shoes off and do the washing up.

OP
OP
Linford

Linford

I have also now come to realise the sole reason I don't ride -or want to ride in future - a "roadie" is because of this thread. Nothing at all to do with the fact that I don't find them comfortable or the lack of desire to do great speeds or cover vast distances on a razor like saddle.

And in a way that kind of vindicates the POV. For all the reasons you have given, it does paint a picture that road cycling isn't something you or many women are drawn too..and so it has become a male dominated pastime.

Ithankyouverymuch ;)

theclaud

Openly Marxist
He was with tdr1nka and a few others at the time and we were parked up near Horseguards iirc. There is always someone quicker out there, and we didn't meet up to test each others ego. It was in support of a campaign to try and reduce lorry born diesel spills.

So cycling isn't a "testosterone-fuelled pastime" after all then? Well, I never. Oodathort your OP would be just a load of tendentious cobblers?

OP
OP
Linford

Linford

So cycling isn't a "testosterone-fuelled pastime" after all then? Well, I never. Oodathort your OP would be just a load of tendentious cobblers?

Perhaps I should have edited the title for clarity...the sentement still stands, and that you ride a road cycle big distances, is really more the exception than the rule. Others have stated or indicated that they find them too uncomfortable.

OP
OP
Linford

Linford

Of course it does Linford, because we all know how fond of razor like saddles the male of the species are.
I could find you as many women who are into road cycling as I could men who aren't. Does that prove anything?Other than I know a lot of people?!
Really?
Kettle's on @Adrian

Welll, if you are struggling with the shape/fit/comfort of the saddle, then perhaps it isn't the right one for you, maybe that is the problem which puts many women off road bikes.
I took the time to set my bike up properly (and had a new spesh saddle sized fitted) and it made a world of difference.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Perhaps I should have edited the title for clarity...the sentement still stands, and that you ride a road cycle big distances, is really more the exception than the rule. Others have stated or indicated that they find them too uncomfortable.

I'm afraid it's beyond editorial help. Nuke the whole thread from orbit instead - it's the only way to be sure.

This is a cycling forum, Linf. It may be considered peculiar by the population at large that I ride a road bike "big distances", but then we are talking about a populace that largely considers it normal to get the 4x4 out and sit in a traffic jam of their own making on their way to a nowhere they have conjured out of their stunted imaginations, while those of us that go out under our own power, get somewhere we want to be and have a whale of a time doing it, whether over one mile or one hundred and fifty, are considered the odd ones. Go figure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom