Cycling is a testosterone fueled pastime

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

snorri

Legendary Member
Linford, your mind works in a mysterious way! :smile:
You are very polite Rob3rt.:smile:

OP
OP
Linford

Linford

You ignored my last advice to stop being a prat didn't you Linf? I was unable to post this morning because I was out ... on my bicycle, or HPTW as they are sometimes known. Try reading my post again: I had horses, past tense - I've moved on. However, when I feel the need to post stuff about them I visit a horse-riding forum because, in case you hadn't noticed, this one is about cycling. As for misandry - you have absolutely no idea how wrong you are. Now go away and play with your nags or your PTW and leave us alone.

I'm spending a lot more time as a HPTW than a PTW, and I've not ridden the horse since she was retired 18 months ago. Just because I have got my mojo back for cycling doesn't stop me from being involved with other interests though. What makes this forum so interesting is the diversity of issues and opinions on offer here...cycling focused topics whilst being the main strand are certainly not the only ones of value.
What will you be calling me next.. a Heretic ?

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I just see the most fun part of cycling (the roadie and MTBing bit) as having a very male orientated image which would turn many potential female riders off it.
Yes, ok, but certainly not because of the "your ride today" thread on CC like you stated on your op.
Anyway, who said only roadies and mbikers are having cycling fun?
I'm having a great time doing my mainly utilitarian cycling, love the freedom of movement plus the health benefits.

michaelcycle

I think the biggest barrier to women cycling is not a small amount of male competitiveness (there is obviously some much like any sport) but rather the perception of high risk and injury. If there are any threads which falsely play into these fears I think they are those "cyclist down" threads which I avoid like the plague.

michaelcycle

2749020 said:
Not the helmet and hi-viz promoters?

I think that is less problematic because it is about the perception of mitigating risk rather than being directly confronted with your worst fears being made reality.

Good point though.

Edited for clarity.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I think the biggest barrier to women cycling is not a small amount of male competitiveness (there is obviously some much like any sport) but rather the perception of high risk and injury. If there are any threads which falsely play into these fears I think they are those "cyclist down" threads which I avoid like the plague.
2749020 said:
Not the helmet and hi-viz promoters?
No. imo they are reassuring (I know, falsely so) because they give one the illusion of being able to prevent something we know is random: being run over.
Sort of be a good girl Mummy/Daddy will love you/Santa will come, wear helmet/hi-viz the bus won't squash you.
Mind, lots of women I know have no fears, typically here student land is no helmet land, while commuters to work are all hi-vized up.

ayceejay

Guru
Where can I get some of this testosterone, is there any in bananas?

You really want to know why you don't see more women on road bikes? Ask women, everything else is speculation, which men are quite good at. No disrespect at all to the 3 or 4 women on this thread, one of which I have met, but out of 90 odd posts, 3 or 4 is hardly a significant sample.
On another forum which Rob3rt , dr_pink and I are members, there was a recent question from a woman suffering with saddle soreness [they pop up on all cycling forums] and nearly all the responses were from men, incredible how discerning the male is at immediately diagnosing any number of female problems, providing the solution and expecting a pat on the back for it.
Now, what was the question again....

ShipHill

This thread reminds me of when my ex-missus threw the guitar magazine she was reading across the living room.

Me - What's amiss dear?
Her - Silly cow in the letters page.
Me - What did they say to vex you so?
Her - She was asking why there aren't more female guitarists. They're mainly men.
Me - What do you think my presh?
Her - Because they don't want to play guitars! Derr!

gavgav

Guru
I've posted stats about my own rides, I've taken pictures on the way also, I'm really not trying to claim any moral high ground, Just observing that one might view road cycling as very much a male dominated pursuit if they read the thread from end to end (which would be a challenge in itself)

If you see a woman riding a roadie on a sunday morning, it is the exception rather than the rule. I've seen a few out on the roads...some take it very seriously, but they are very much in the minority.

Just saying :whistle:
Considering some of the most entertaining reports in the thread are from @coffeejo and @Pat "5mph" I struggle to understand your logic here?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom