Cycling is a testosterone fueled pastime

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
I love "your ride today", great thread. Love the descriptions and the pictures, sometimes I google map the places to better pinpoint them.
Love it when members post pictures taken in an area at different times of year. You really feel you're getting to know the places when you have never even been there!

Spot on - I really enjoy reading about rides in various parts of the country and beyond - as well as the photos. Although I love 'my patch' hereabouts in the flatlands, it's great to see some hills. Some of Rickshaw Phil's, Coffeejo's and Bigonabianchi's photos are stunning, to name but a few. I must admit my eyes do tend to glaze over a bit whenever strava is mentioned. The best part for me at least is the journey, not the amount of time taken to achieve it.

Dan B

Disengaged member
Linford, your threads really do seem to come from a parallel universe.

I'd hesitate to describe it as "parallel" ... "divergent" maybe

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Interesting that.

How many women use a scammer?
I meant, those videos are quite scary if you're considering cycling on the roads as a newbie.
I know I got almost put off starting commuting by bike when a search threw up Magnatom's videos.
As he's local to me, the videos made me apprehensive before even starting.
Thankfully I am of a stubborn nature, want to find out stuff for myself ^_^
Only ever met a girl donning a helmet cam. She did not have it next time we rode together, so I guess it was used mainly to take pictures of the rides.

Puddles

Do I need to get the spray plaster out?
I meant, those videos are quite scary if you're considering cycling on the roads as a newbie.
I know I got almost put off starting commuting by bike when a search threw up Magnatom's videos.
As he's local to me, the videos made me apprehensive before even starting.
Thankfully I am of a stubborn nature, want to find out stuff for myself ^_^
Only ever met a girl donning a helmet cam. She did not have it next time we rode together, so I guess it was used mainly to take pictures of the rides.

I have 2 cameras (front & back) cheapy things with jelly lens thingies, they take quite good footage from the initial check of them, I never watch them, I have them there as I have insurance for me and the small people in case any of us gets squished or injured whilst cycling and I figure that if that happens then I have footage of said incident to give to insurance peoples.

rbreid

Old git on old bikes
Next he will be saying the Photography thread is getting too competitive and lens waggling and Tea is out of order discussing which is the best biscuit to dunk.
Ahhhh To dunk or not to dunk that is the question. Dunking is a high risk sport only for real men, or women(inclusive see ^_^) Not for the faint of heart. Not even going to get into the napkin wearing debate as it should be a matter of personal choice. Legislation in this area could spell the end of dunking as we know it IMHO

OP
OP
Linford

Linford

[QUOTE 2747941, member: 45"]Well.....

Because blokes are competitive and have testosterone, cycling is a male-dominated sport. Horseriding is dominated by competitive women who don't have testosterone.

Or something like that.[/quote]

My experiences of track riding alongside women is that they don't get the red mist like men. Their riding is much more consistent and measured. Men when they can see they are being left behind/passed tend to get more reckless....

OP
OP
Linford

Linford

They always diverge towards the world of 4x4s, motorcycles sorry PTWs, and horses, for some odd reason.

They all share common ground in that they all have a leisure aspect to them. I also have spent a lot of time doing both over the years....and you clearly haven't.

OP
OP
Linford

Linford

Tan genital

Whatever floats your boat :laugh:

booze and cake

probably out cycling
Horseriding is a female dominated pastime.
This is a screengrab from the back end of my my horse widget shop. A fair few of the men using it were buying for the women in their lives.
It is a female dominated pastime. Females make up the very vast majority of competitors in Equine competitions, and if males are involved, it is usually because the women are the driving force behind their interest. View attachment 31950

Oh god please don't post a picture of Jordan.

My experiences of track riding alongside women is that they don't get the red mist like men. Their riding is much more consistent and measured. Men when they can see they are being left behind/passed tend to get more reckless....

And is this why young womens car insurance is significantly less than young mens? ZING, men engage in willy waving testosterone shocker. Thankfully cycling is many things to many people and testosterone is not a prerequisite.

OP
OP
Linford

Linford

Oh god please don't post a picture of Jordan.

And is this why young womens car insurance is significantly less than young mens? ZING, men engage in willy waving testosterone shocker. Thankfully cycling is many things to many people and testosterone is not a prerequisite.

Katie Price wears many hats...one of them is as a horse rider. She isn't representative of horseriders as a group though. All the ones I know (women) live in Jodhpurs and smell of horse pretty much 24/7 :biggrin:

I was more angling towards club riders...cyclists as hobbyists, be that MTBers or road cyclists...Youngest sprog would run a mile than be seen wearing lycra on a road bike by her peers, but would be happy to ride a pendleton bike with the wicker basket and with flowers painted on its frame....She had some pics of her in her motor biking leathers taken last year in a photo shoot (as she rides pillion with me from time to time), but didn't want her mates to see the pics.

Certainly not a dig at women...even if the forums uber misandrist would be keen to misrepresent it as that.
I just see the most fun part of cycling (the roadie and MTBing bit) as having a very male orientated image which would turn many potential female riders off it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Linford

Linford

2748692 said:
Yep when in doubt a neat sidestep involving a ludicrous logical fallacy and a couple of smilies will always beat acknowledging that you don't know something.

TMN Jordans book isn't at the top of my reading list. If she were into it so much (obsessively so like all the horse mad people I deal with of all ages) she'd never stop talking about it....the silence is deafening so I don't really buy it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom