Cycling is definitely getting more trendy again

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm guessing the lighter patches in the suburbs are recreational cycling rather than commuting?

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
2701640 said:
Who are Bolt Burdon Kemp? Why do they have a cycling department and go around commissioning reports on advanced spatial awareness?
Because today I could not find bike parking space in town! :angry: (miffed smiley)
Obviously there's not enough ... space :laugh: (laughing smiley)

RedRider

Pulling through
Good map. I'm interested to see that the folk living along the Thames going out in a south-westerly direction are cycling a lot more than their neighbours in other outer suburbs, presumably the river valley helps to encourage them? Also interested by the darker patch around the Regent's Park/Hyde Park area... I wonder if the more cosmopolitan or international character of the residents of those areas means cycling is seen as less acceptable? Not surprised to see the hotspots - now fashionable Hackney districts within close reach of the City.

I was born in London and worked there from 1980 to 1986 so have always had a soft spot for the place.
Perhaps it's a Richmond Park effect? People living out that way get to go through it on the way to work and are used to seeing leisure cyclists coming from all directions. It's also pretty affluent.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I think a perfect storm fuelled by a number of factors has pushed the popularity of cycling ahead in recent years.

People are more aware of the benefits of exercise and keeping weight within limits.

Fuel prices gone through the roof.

Local Bus services usually inadequate.

Cycle to work scheme.

Road congestion and parking problems.

I think the Wiggo effect has contributed but not as much as the rest as the numbers had surged upwards a few years before the last Olympics/TDF succeses.
Having the same boom in the US, but we don't have Cycle to Work, or "Wiggo". And if I'm seeing it in the Mid-West, it is probably even more so on the coasts, and in Chicago and other metropolitan areas. Began with the latest cashtastrophe, and has expanded since. Like the Whigs.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
it's decreasing here. I reckon I see less than a thousand bikes in just over four miles. And I'm taking the bus today.............

OP
OP
Linford

Linford

[QUOTE 2699971, member: 259"]Yep, even Linf has got one now. :whistle:[/quote]

Are you referring to the roadie I bought new in 2007 ? :thumbsup:

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
I would let mini me 8 years old cycle to school (it's only a 15 min walk) but they rant allowed to leave bikes at school even though it would massively reduce traffic in a heavily built up area and I don't gave time every day to walk 2 bikes home

Bonkers, why?! Couldn't you just chain them up outside of the school where they can't dictate?

Mind you it is Nuneaton... :whistle:

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
NOS = Nitrous Oxide Systems ? ....Its quick, but not that quick ^_^
New Old Stock-Gives me the chance to tell this tale to a wider audience- The German Farmers Bank in my hometown went bust after a run during the previous great depression of the 1930's. Many banks and offices moved in and out of the building. Finally, in the late 1970's, due to a sign relocation, someone measured the building and found the known square footage of the first floor to be about 100 square feet less than the second floor. A void. Sledgehammers soon revealed a vault door in the void. Behind that was a vault, full of 1890s money. New Old Stock.

Born2die

Bonkers, why?! Couldn't you just chain them up outside of the school where they can't dictate?

Mind you it is Nuneaton... :whistle:
Too true what's even funnier there is a pub opposite in the summer half the parents go to the pub pick up there kids then return to the pub with there kids it's mad. The school is pc and h&s mad no concerns no snowballs no running on the paths leading out of the school everyone adults inc must use the crossing patrol lady to cross the paperwork I had to fill in just so she could play on there climbing frame and tyres it's madness.

Let us not forget I'm an old school dad off you go climb trees fall off monkey bars etc last summer she had fun bashed herself about had a great time. 1st day back at school I was called in to be presented with 2 police officers 2 social workers and 3 school staff it was an interrogation on how she got the bruises etc even now I have to explain every bruise and at parents evening there are always 2 teachers 1 is male it's madness these days.

Too true what's even funnier there is a pub opposite in the summer half the parents go to the pub pick up there kids then return to the pub with there kids it's mad. The school is pc and h&s mad no concerns no snowballs no running on the paths leading out of the school everyone adults inc must use the crossing patrol lady to cross the paperwork I had to fill in just so she could play on there climbing frame and tyres it's madness.

Let us not forget I'm an old school dad off you go climb trees fall off monkey bars etc last summer she had fun bashed herself about had a great time. 1st day back at school I was called in to be presented with 2 police officers 2 social workers and 3 school staff it was an interrogation on how she got the bruises etc even now I have to explain every bruise and at parents evening there are always 2 teachers 1 is male it's madness these days.

This is quite unusual (actually very unusual) and I sympathise. If there were social workers and police officers there, then for whatever reason they may have thought that something serious had happened. It is a most unusual scenario (seven professionals, four of whom have travelled to be there) unless the social workers were already somehow involved on some other matter - and even then it seems unusual. It would be perfectly reasonable to question politely why the decision was taken to involve so many people in such an innocuous matter. Unless you are 'known to the Police' for domestic matters, I would certainly question it.

My children (all now older) frequently turned up at primary school with visible bumps, bruises and scratches. Perhaps the staff at your children's school were on the nervous side.

On your original point about banning bicycles: I've volunteered at schools where I was asked not to arrive by bicycle unless wearing a helmet. I just grinned and wore one. A silly rule, but not worth making a stand over. At my children's primary, only kids who had taken a (free) course and were in at least Year 5 were allowed to ride in and lock their bikes up in the racks, but I ignored the rule and was never challenged. Mine cycled to school in KS1, but usually alongside an older sibling. It may have helped that I sat on the PTA for many years, but many of these rules and regulations are obstacles only if you want them to be. Nonetheless... if bicycles cannot be locked and left at the school during the day under any circumstances, I suspect the governors, the management team, the LEA or all three have made a colossal error and can be challenged. That seems barmy and indefensible enough to challenge. I would challenge it at a governor's meeting or with a polite letter to the head teacher.

Last edited:
Top Bottom