Cycling is definitely getting more trendy again

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

400bhp

Guru
Cycling has become more "normal" I think. I get less "looks" at the office when I arrive in my daft lycra.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Lots more cyclists in my area too, I noticed since the summer.
Plenty of utilitarian cyclists in ordinary clothes, of all ages.
Now I see as many women as men cycling from my bit (outskirts) to the centre of town.
I think the reason is a combination between the unusual mild weather and the recent restructure of local bus services, probably there are less buses on the road, while the fares have increased.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
That's true. In my area they are going to be cutting the number of busses. Without them it's either bikes or the car.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Many thanks.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
I think a perfect storm fuelled by a number of factors has pushed the popularity of cycling ahead in recent years.

People are more aware of the benefits of exercise and keeping weight within limits.

Fuel prices gone through the roof.

Local Bus services usually inadequate.

Cycle to work scheme.

Road congestion and parking problems.

I think the Wiggo effect has contributed but not as much as the rest as the numbers had surged upwards a few years before the last Olympics/TDF succeses.

londoncyclerevolution4.ashx

Frood42

I know where my towel is

I have cycled the roundabout in that picture quite often.

I am not sure we need to give cyclists more consideration than others, but I do think that we should be given some consideration, rather than being an "out group" who are thought about as a last minute addition.
I am thinking of many of the poorly painted in afterthought "cycle lanes" and cycle signs which run close to barriers and inside of door zones...

Globalti

Legendary Member
Good map. I'm interested to see that the folk living along the Thames going out in a south-westerly direction are cycling a lot more than their neighbours in other outer suburbs, presumably the river valley helps to encourage them? Also interested by the darker patch around the Regent's Park/Hyde Park area... I wonder if the more cosmopolitan or international character of the residents of those areas means cycling is seen as less acceptable? Not surprised to see the hotspots - now fashionable Hackney districts within close reach of the City.

I was born in London and worked there from 1980 to 1986 so have always had a soft spot for the place.

Top Bottom