Cycling is definitely getting more trendy again

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Born2die

I keep trying but the school is h&s mad. To add insult to injury last winter she went over in the snow and bruised her calf 1st I knew was a letter from social services saying that no further action would be taken I didn't even know the school had reported it or that they had taken photos etc to say I lost my normal calm self would be an understatement.:gun:

There main problem seems to be I'm a single dad to a little girl. They don't seem to like it for whatever reason and as you can see from my avatar being a shaved head fairly well built guy :training:they naturally assume I'm some sort of monster rather than a kind caring father who would happily do time if anyone hurts her :boxing:. Despite letters calls and endless conversations with the school and social they refuse to lower her status from watch her.

I keep trying but the school is h&s mad. To add insult to injury last winter she went over in the snow and bruised her calf 1st I knew was a letter from social services saying that no further action would be taken I didn't even know the school had reported it or that they had taken photos etc to say I lost my normal calm self would be an understatement.:gun:

There main problem seems to be I'm a single dad to a little girl. They don't seem to like it for whatever reason and as you can see from my avatar being a shaved head fairly well built guy :training:they naturally assume I'm some sort of monster rather than a kind caring father who would happily do time if anyone hurts her :boxing:. Despite letters calls and endless conversations with the school and social they refuse to lower her status from watch her.

This is hugely off topic, but you raise the point so I'll reply. I am not a teacher, but I know many and have volunteered and run PTAs over many years. I am no stranger to UK state schools.

Your phrase (which I highlight) seems revealing. Education professionals do not as a rule assume anything from the appearence of a parent. This would go against everything in their training and professional code. Many parents are shaven-headed men with muscles and elicit no special measures. Many men are single fathers and elicit no special measures. My own father was widowed early in my childhood and raised three children alone in the 60s and 70s. He didn't look 'hard' (quite the reverse) but was a decorated veteran, which carries more kudos than an over-active razor, a few gym sessions and a hard stare.

If your child is being watched by the school and social services and measures have been put in place, it is not because of your haircut or your build. I imagine you know this.

I have never heard a teacher say "Watch that one, he's big and shaves his head". There is something else they know about or have had to confront in the past. Schools do not bring police and social services into the building and have three members of staff present because of a couple of bruises and because Dad's a big chap who shaves his head.

Nor do they take photographs for social services unless they believe they have good reason. They are accountable professionals, like social workers and the police.

I wish you well, but I'd stop shooting the old flannel about assumptions. Nobody else believes it and I don't suppose you do either. There may be aggression issues (your mention of 'happily doing time' if anyone hurt your daughter rather suggests there are - what an oddly aggressive thing to say as proof that you're not aggressive).

I saw my own widowed father ground away and eroded by alcohol consumption, working full-time, raising three children alone and trying to shut out the grief. It is a tough and thankless gig and it probably took ten years off his life. I don't think he ever had the chance to recover from his own bereavement. I wish you well but I advise you to work with the authorities, not against them. They are not the bad guys, although you paint them that way.

Last edited:
Top Bottom