Cycling like a granny

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Cathryn said:
I realised today I'm not good at going downhill. I get quite scared of speed (like 18mph upwards)

http://www.wiredtowinthemovie.com/gallery1.html

Or 60 mph!

littlered

Am I the only one that pedals like hell before the hill to get some speed up:wacko::rolleyes:

Also I'm totally in tune with my bike I know it's limits. It just takes time to build confidence and to get to know your bike. Took me about a year to feel like part of my bike when I'm on it.:blush:Yes I love my bike:blush:

littlered

Mr Phoebus;34436][QUOTE=littlered said:
Also I'm totally in tune with my bike

So where's the squeak coming from then?

:rolleyes:

Sorry I'll stop it now.[/QUOTE]

:cry:I think it's the forks:cry:Now stop taking the p**s

OP
OP
Cathryn

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Mucus. What a fabulous user name. I might rename myself!

Back to the cycling...I'm almost looking forward to my next downhill to try out all the tips. I'll probably be so busy trying to remember everything that I'll be at the bottom before I realise it!!

bonj2

Cathryn said:
Mucus. What a fabulous user name. I might rename myself!

Back to the cycling...I'm almost looking forward to my next downhill to try out all the tips. I'll probably be so busy trying to remember everything that I'll be at the bottom before I realise it!!

if you only remember two things, remember these two: DON'T brake, DO pedal.

Christopher

Über Member
hi Cathryn
It's best to practice descending on a road you know well, that doesn't have any narrow bits, potholes, blind bends etc. You get more stability and more speed if your hands are on the drops, with the proviso that you can still reach the brake levers.
Remember that the bike gets more stable the faster you go. My best bike is rock steady at speeds over 25mph. It's all confidence really, gradually work up to higher speeds & don't go too fast too soon.

Mr Phoebus

Cathryn
Laugh really manically at the top of your voice "Bawahahahaha!!!!!" as you rapidly descend. (Remember Planes Trains and Automobiles when Del turned into the Devil?) this will help keep you safe and keep the Reaper at bay!

bonj2

alecstilleyedye;34752][quote name= said:
if you only remember two things, remember these two: DON'T brake, DO pedal.
don't tell me you're riding fixed now bonj :ohmy: :ohmy: ;)[/QUOTE]

god no. You'll not get me on one of those deathtraps. I have actually been won over (albeit only slightly) on the idea of recumbents so it proves i do change my opinions in the face of argument. But a fixie now that is a deathtrap.

Blonde

Just relax about it! If you tense up and get nervous this is what tends to cause people to misjudge things, and perhaps not lean enough round bends etc and so they're more likely to come off. Just relax - Afterall, there is no reason why you should fall off unless you brake very sharply and upend the bike or actually hit something. Just let the bike go until you get to a speed that is on the edge of what you're comfortable with - Go with what feels OK, not what the computer says. In fact, don't look at the computer - look at the road! Look well ahead and try to predict things like cars turning out of drives etc. so that you are in control and can slow early and gently, rather than needing to do any sudden hard braking. When you do brake, squeeze both the levers gently and just for a few seconds at a time to slow the bike before releasing them. You can control your speed totally like this, without needing to brake all the time which only makes you hands tired!

Regarding shyte road surfaces - Try to pull out early to avoid bumps/holes you know are there - look behind you and signal and pull out. If you can't avoid it or there's a vehicle too close behind you for you to pull out, slow down if you have time to do this gently, and/or get your bum off the saddle, stand on the pedals and freewheel over the bump/pot hole holding the bars firmly, but keeping your arms loose and bent (not completely straight) to absorb the impact. You wont fall off!

I agree with Chuffy about shouting 'Wheeeeeee!' whilst decending - 'tis great fun, though you do get some odd looks from the bus stop queues!

BTW Bonj - I rode to work on fixed for the first time, this a.m.! It was great!

Top Bottom