Cycling mags; when will I learn?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr Celine

Discordian
Cycling Weekly is produced on a thin paper which is not a popular material these days, but it's still such a good read that one's eyes simply don't notice. At this price point it represents excellent value for money.

Cycling plus is priced a notch higher, but features an enhanced groupset of articles. It's printed on glossy paper which has been the most popular frame material for magazines for a number of years. On starting to read it immediately feels noticably stiffer than Cycling Weekly but can still be read comfortably for an hour.

The Cyclist is the most expensive of our group test. Printed on a thicker semi- gloss paper frame it gives a luxiourous feel and delivers class leading stiffness and vertical compliance. The pages turn effortlessly almost by themselves as tedious product reviews simply fly by. Only those with deep pockets will know whether or not its worth the investment.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Rouleur is ok but a bit niche. C+ was good for about its first 10 years. It's a joke now.

The Cycling UK mag bores me rigid these days. When CUK was actually a member organisation, it was a great mag (Chris Juden, practical stuff). Now it's too focused on the type of people CUK would like to attract, which is not the crusty middle-aged men who actually get the mag!

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
I'd love to see table tennis as the next "New Golf". I've been playing TT almost as long as I have been racing TT's. In my local league, when I started in 1971, there was 9 divisions, but over the years with small industries declining and firms shutting down and TT clubs closing, last year we were down to just 3 divisions. And with the current lockdown restrictions, there will be even less teams taking part in the forthcoming winter season.
You've been playing table tennis since 1971? You must be absolutely knackered!

I don't know which magazine it was, but before the virus went, erm viral, I was reading a review in a mag at the Doctors waiting room. Carbon framed bike and the tester was trotting out every single cliche, and then some, about compliance, soaking up road buzz, etc. It was so treacly and sickening that I googled the reviewers name and lo and behold discovered that a year beforehand he had been writing for a model railway magazine from the same publisher.
Did you become suspicious about his attachment to journalistic flourishes like "corners like its on rails" ?

Got back into adult cycling in the late 90s and for several years had a subscription to Cycling Plus.
Have several years bound copies.
Used to be a very good general cycling mag for folk from tourers to everyday to racers and always looked forward to it dropping through the letter box.
Then years ago it lost it - seduced by megabucks bikes and kit for wannabee Cavs. Boring in the extreme. I rather pity current subscribers - must be like being on a treadmill reading about all that flash stuff you are apparently supposed to be riding/wearing/flashing before you can go ride your bike and explore.

CharlesF

Guru
I get free emags from the library and the only cycling mag on offer is Cycling Plus. I download it every month with the intention of reading it, only to be put off on the first article. As many have mentioned, the recommended kit is always expensive.

The only bit I enjoy is the short section “How cycling helped me”. The stories are usually inspiring and remind me there are many with far bigger challenges that they overcame.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Nah - I've been riding TT's since 1967 - got 4 years to catch up.
It looks like you only do sports with the acronym of TT/
I assume this is yours then?

1596181329673.png

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I used to like Snudgers and Snudgemen, but when that was absorbed into "Quumph!" it all went a bit celebrity, a bit "OK!" magazine, obsessed with Jonathan Ross's favourite scents, Kylie Minogue's BMX seat etc.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I used to get Cycling Plus, did so for many years. In the end it kind of left me behind and didn't have my kind of cycling included. So I gave up my subscription. I still get Cycling weekly, but I'm not sure for how much longer.

Top Bottom