Cycling mags; when will I learn?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Did you become suspicious about his attachment to journalistic flourishes like "corners like its on rails" ?
It was when he started going on about the incredible slow speed running and the cab lighting that you realised he'd rejigged his 2017 review of the Scotrail Class 37?

I'm on my 2nd year of Cyclist subscription. It is mainly glossy articles about places I haven't been to, or people/companies/teams I will never meet. (I haven't tried the other glossies.)
I think this is what printed press is good for. The internet has replaced all the news and tips sections.

(and another vote for the CTC mag - it has a unique purpose and does it well. Not very popular on the CTC forum though :laugh: )

Sterlo

Early Retirement Planning
If you like reading them but don't like the price, I got a Readly subscription for £7.99 a month. They have a few cycling mags on there so you can get them all for the one price, plus there are thousands of others. You can cancel at any time and use it on (I think) 5 different devices.

Tom B

Guru
(and another vote for the CTC mag - it has a unique purpose and does it well. Not very popular on the CTC forum though :laugh: )

Not much is. They're a bit stiff and hard-line for my liking.

Another vote for readly. I think MBR is about the same price as a month of readly.

If anyone is thinking of signing up for readly drop one of us readly subscribers an message and we and you get a month free if we recommend you.

I subscribe to readly app... all the magazine you could ever want or need at around the price of one and half paper ones. but even then I dont often read the cycling ones as there idea of budget and mine are at least a few hundred or even a grand apart

Edit beaten to this advice by sterio

Would a glossy magazine for everday cyclist on a tight budget ever make money? Would "BSO Weakly" ever sell?

Drago

Legendary Member
I'm puzzled why anyone would continue to buy cycle magazines, when we have this fantastic resource of reviews advice and opinions that is cyclechat . All with added sarcasm and P taking when required and deserved.
And Y fronts! The traditional printed cycling press is devoid of functional classic underwear.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
Magazine media is struggling full stop. Modern Classics magazine is shutting this month after 34 years, a number of others has disappeared of the past decade. A friendly tip, if you're thinking of printing a new magazine in your chosen field of interest, don't... Sorry Drago that you're idea of Alien sex toys magazine weekly would be a 'flop'...

byegad

Legendary Member
I haven't bought one since Velovision changed hands. I didn't buy the few the new owner published having read on a forum, just prior to the takeover, him sounding off about helmet use being essential.
As a recumbent trike user most 'standard magazines' are as useful as the ashtray* I fitted to one of my trikes, along with a side stand!

*I'm a life-long non-smoker!

Ajax Bay

Guru
Not on paper, but:
"laterally stiff yet vertically compliant"
Try avoiding to laugh at/with this article : bikesnob-2008-dream-bike-shootout,
"this bike climbs like a monkey with a set of crampons, descends like a monkey in a set of crampons being dropped from a helicopter, handles corners like a prostitute, and accelerates like a particle in a particle accelerator that itself is just a tiny particle in a giant particle accelerator."
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/carbon.243931/page-2

Top Bottom