Cycling mags; when will I learn?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Juan Kog

permanently grumpy
As it appears all the current glossy cycle magazines are aimed firmly at the MAMIL market . I Thought a publisher could launch a magazine aimed at SOCC's like me ,that's stingy old club cyclists. It would fail of course, as we would all be waiting for a mate to pass on there old copy.

"laterally stiff yet vertically compliant"

It is quite amazing how many ways the journos can rephrase this simple cliche in bike reviews. I wonder if there a special award at some industry annual dinner for the best one?

avecReynolds531

Veteran
Cycling Plus used to have some useful content in it,
+ 1
Used to be a varied & interesting magazine, I stopped reading it maybe 10 years ago:sad:
The only mag I read now is the one from Cycling UK. Has a few interesting articles that you wouldn't find in the internet.
I get this because of the CUK membership and it's good in my view. They have some of the magazine content on the website.
I also receive the V-CC magazines which are fabulous but definitely niche:smile:

The only publication I'm considering subscribing to now, is Jan Heine's Bicycle Quarterly: https://www.renehersecycles.com/shop/print/issues/last-four-issues-bq/

+ 1
Used to be a varied & interesting magazine, I stopped reading it maybe 10 years ago:sad:

I get this because of the CUK membership and it's good in my view. They have some of the magazine content on the website.
I also receive the V-CC magazines which are fabulous but definitely niche:smile:

The only publication I'm considering subscribing to now, is Jan Heine's Bicycle Quarterly: https://www.renehersecycles.com/shop/print/issues/last-four-issues-bq/

Is Dan Joyce still editor of the CTC mag?
He was editor of Cycling Plus through much of the period I thought it worth reading.

(I was a member of the CTC for a fair while, left when I came back to London)

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
To get away from boring swoopy Taiwanese CF frames and relentlessly black Shimano kit, they should review some readers' creations, the kind lovingly cobbled together from eBay purchases with idiosyncratic kit, like fixed-gear Moultons, racing bikes with SA 3-speeds and hipster singlespeeds with lots of tan leather and tiny handlebars. The fact that all of these exist in my shed is purely coincidental.

And this month in "What's in your shed?" we're off to Swindon. Let's see what we find ...

avecReynolds531

Veteran
Is Dan Joyce still editor of the CTC mag?
He was editor of Cycling Plus through much of the period I thought it worth reading.

(I was a member of the CTC for a fair while, left when I came back to London)
Yes, that's right, still Dan Joyce editing at the CTC mag.

(As an aside, we have a family membership: the incorporated 3rd party insurance & legal support is something we've found valuable & reassuring.
...i.e. when a drunk driver crisply shunted a car in front, sending it into my bike. The back wheel didn't look like a wheel anymore & CTC were great dealing with that.)

Top Bottom