Cycling Minister: "Even females could ride bikes!"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
http://www.theguardian.com/environm...bert-goodwill-everyday-cyclists?commentpage=1

"As I turn left onto Millbank and the other lights change there's just a pack, a peleton of Lycra that comes whizzing past," he told the Guardian in his ministerial office, the Brompton folded away in a corner. "I can see that the basket-on-the-handlebars type cyclist is possibly as intimidated by the Lycra mob as they are by the cars and trucks.

"Therefore I want people to think cycling is for them, even if they are middle aged, or female, or overweight, or one of the other groups of people who don't really get on their bikes. That's the sort of cycling I think we're missing out on to an extent: the sort of person who thinks cycling isn't for them, when the fact is it could be for them."

Sara_H

Guru
I've got a basket on my handlebars. I don't feel intimidated by "the lycra mob". I do feel intimidated by cars and trucks though. Perhaps thats because there's a good chance they could kill me.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
So, it's official, red lights are not for bikes, they're for cars! :laugh:

It doesn't cost very much to change a traffic light to one with a bicycle symbol on it, and that could make quite a lot of difference for cyclists knowing which signals are for them and which are for cars

Peter Armstrong

Über Member
Ha Ha Funny stuff

Its kind of a backward way of saying it would be nice to get more people involed in cycling, im guessing its largly male "lycra mob" peeps who cycle?

OP
OP
glenn forger

glenn forger

he seems to be saying people are equally afraid of lorries as lycra. And calling us a "mob" isn't very inclusive.

Lincov

So irritating, I wear lycra (leggings) even for short journeys e.g. to meet someone for a drink because they are comfortable, dry quickly, and don't get caught in the chain. I wear a cycle jacket because it's high-vis, keeps me dry and has pockets on the back where they don't get in my way. Nothing to do with intimidation or competitiveness. I suspect our new minister doesn't cycle very far on his Brompton!

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
At least he cycles.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Ha ha, minister means well, only with this weather you can't help wearing cycling gear.
Out in town with the girls today, what will I wear? :girl:
Ok, it's raining buckets: leave the helmet? My hair will get wet!
No hi-viz waterproof? The rest of me will get wet and frozen!
Compromised wearing water repellent walking trousers, a cycling baselayer on top that looks almost "normal", an outdoor type gilet.
Ended up riding home in the usual hi-viz: it got dark, more rain, more wind, uff!
I don't think my Aldi jacket is intimidating to would be cyclists :smile:

Brandane

Legendary Member
Not sure where the OP got the title for this thread from. Nowhere in the article can I find the quote "Even females could ride bikes". Perhaps a touch of dramatisation and misquoting going on?

The true quote taken in context does not have the same meaning:
I want people to think cycling is for them, even if they are middle aged, or female, or overweight, or one of the other groups of people who don't really get on their bikes.

Top Bottom