Cycling Minister: "Even females could ride bikes!"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
@deptfordmarmoset - I think you underestimate the impact of the lycra. Because we're all cyclists we think that wearing lycra is normal. But when you start looking, you do notice that the overwhelming majority are lycraed up. And to a non-cylist, lycra is odd - it's a symbol of something "other". I do remember how odd I felt when I bought my first lycra.

@glenn forger - yes, you can say "don't be daft". I do, frequently - maybe not in exactly those terms, but that's the sentiment. SImply deny the premise of the argument. And back your comments up with the link quoted in this thread: http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/the-risks-of-cycling.146101/

jarlrmai

Veteran
It's a symbol of the fact that roads are often so nasty to cycle on that only confident, fit, assertive young people who are willing to put up with it do it and they tend to be more into cycling than most and therefore wear lycra as it best suits the way they cycle.

In other words it's something only people who really love cycling do, and guess what it's not those people who are stopping other people cycling.

http://www.cycling-embassy.org.uk/wiki/barriers-cycling

Dan B

Disengaged member
II've posted elsewhere about how seriously most of my fellow commuters seem to take their (often short) commute. It's neither a race nor a training opportunity - it's a ride to work.

Yes but no but. It's generally my ony opportunity for exercise on a weekday, I'm going to use that opportunity as best I can.

Went out in Aldi cycling trousers for first time on Sunday. I felt like Max Wall! :eek:

And I'm sorry but what's the use of a cycling minister when cyclists don't know him from a hole in the ground and there's bugger all being done about cycling in this country apart from promoting nice hats and getting a French race to start here instead of having a British race promoted to the hilt?

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
It's a symbol of the fact that roads are often so nasty to cycle on that only confident, fit, assertive young people who are willing to put up with it do it and these tend to be more into cycling than most and therefore wear lycra as it best suits the way they cycle.
Well, it helps if you're fit on the bike, capable of keeping up with traffic, capable of looking behind without dislodging old(er) bones :smile:
Lycra (or stretchy clothing) certainly aids easy movement while cycling.
Sadly (or not, whatever) some of us are on the slow side and would like to go for coffee looking like we took the bus there :girl:
The minister meant well imo, there's the fact though that poodling cyclists and fast traffic don't mix.
Even Cyclecraft advocates the correct use of your gears in order to be swift when needed.
Some of us will never be swift :rolleyes:
I'm not intimidated, but understand if others are.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
We'll I was in leggings, tunic and boots today, and i see all sorts from the Lycra clad to the older lady with a basket (the one I can't get to smile at me - very serious stately expression each day), then there is the paperboy on a BMX (with lights even), a lady on a blue pashley is a regular too. There were the kids going to school (out of sight of parents so helmets on the handle bars), and the ones who haven't reached the stage of pedals yet.

So I think the variety is out there - he just needs to look! (Obviously I won't object to more people though)

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
@deptfordmarmoset - I think you underestimate the impact of the lycra. Because we're all cyclists we think that wearing lycra is normal. But when you start looking, you do notice that the overwhelming majority are lycraed up. And to a non-cylist, lycra is odd - it's a symbol of something "other". I do remember how odd I felt when I bought my first lycra.

Oh, I don't think I'm underestimating it. It's just that there seems to be a wilful, motivated bigging up of its otherness. Cyclists, as a whole, are among the least likely to have a problem with wearing lycra. I'm saying, I think, that it's non-lycra wearers that have the problem with it. And it's a distraction jobbie. The greatest reasons for people not cycling are elsewhere, and they are reasons that Goodwill is in a rather specially privileged position to ameliorate. His diversionary tactics are a strong indication that there is no genuine goodwill from him towards any group of cyclists, be they already on the road or potentially. And, of course, ideologically, his first concern is the fake privatisation of the Highways Agency.

jarlrmai

Veteran
I know you break the mould Pat ;) But as one of the "lycra mob" I feel a little like the minister didn't mean well, I feel like he was intending to divert the blame for the lack of cycling on those who take cycling a little more seriously than most, using a variation on the "Lycra Louts" slur as found in the press whenever cycling comes.

Pat "5mph"

I know you break the mould Pat ;) But as one of the "lycra mob" I feel a little like the minister didn't mean well, I feel like he was intending to divert the blame for the lack of cycling on those who take cycling a little more seriously than most, using a variation on the "Lycra Louts" slur as found in the press whenever cycling comes.
Uhmm, get you, maybe he should launch a "utilitarian cycling" campaign, a' la Boris of that there London.
You fast ones will then moan about us slow coaches clogging up the cycling lanes :laugh:
We will see what the future brings: as the minister of the potholed roads the chap has a huge workload on his hands!

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
In London there is no lack of cycling. What there is is a norm for a cyclist which includes lycra, helmet, serious glasses and a serious attitude. And usually a penis.

What the minister is prompting, however ham-fistedly, is consideration about whether that combination is the best way to make cycling an everyday mode of transport.

Brandane

Legendary Member
srw said:
The moans about the rain are a red herring. It rarely rains (the figure of 12 days a year springs to mind from somewhere). A waterproof coat and a pair of waterproof overtrousers sort out those days.
From somewhere east of here, I reckon. Not that I am bitter.
South AND east of here! At a conservative estimate, I would say we get rain on at least 50% of days throughout the year. I am right on the west coast of Scotland.

Pat "5mph"

South AND east of here! At a conservative estimate, I would say we get rain on at least 50% of days throughout the year. I am right on the west coast of Scotland.
Och aye, correct, the trick is to plan your cycle journeys during the rain intervals, often this means getting to work an hour early or setting for home half an hour later. This subterfuge does not guarantee success, however :laugh:

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
In London there is no lack of cycling. What there is is a norm for a cyclist which includes lycra, helmet, serious glasses and a serious attitude. And usually a penis.

What the minister is prompting, however ham-fistedly, is consideration about whether that combination is the best way to make cycling an everyday mode of transport.
Which boils down to ''the problem with too few people cycling is the people who are out there cycling.'' Which is great because you end up blaming cyclists for the lack of cyclists.

Top Bottom